Intent to Deprecate and Remove: Rietveld Code Review

Aaron Gable

Jul 20, 2017, 5:22:46 PM7/20/17
to Chromium-dev, blink-dev, v8-...@googlegroups.com
Primary Eng
One week from today, on Thursday, July 27, codereview.chromium.org will begin refusing uploads of new changes to chromium/src.git and v8/v8.git. By the end of Q3 (exact date TBD), Rietveld will become fully read-only, including for existing changes.

Motivation
Now that both Chromium and V8 have been using Gerrit by default for a few weeks, the continued presence of Rietveld as a code review tool is both a drain on the contributors who have to context switch between the two systems, and a maintenance burden on the infrastructure team. As a step towards making Rietveld fully ready-only, we are disabling uploads of new changes to individual projects so that large portions of the contributor population don't have to live in this two-system world for too long.

Interoperability Risk
If you have changes which are already uploaded to Rietveld and are undergoing review, you'll be able to continue working with those changes as normal. However, if you are asked to split a change, you won't be able to upload the new one to Rietveld. Depending on how comfortable you and your reviewers are switching back and forth between the systems, you may want to migrate your existing changes to Gerrit using "git cl issue 0 && git cl upload".

Suggestions from Developers
As always, if you have questions about Gerrit, consult the faq. If you want to file a bug about the Gerrit web UI, use the "Send feedback" link in the site footer. If you want to file a bug about git-cl, or about some piece of automation which starts failing, use this template.

Usage Information
In the last week, 95% of all commits to src.git and 99% of all commits to v8.git were reviewed on Gerrit.
commits (3).pngcommits (4).png

Launch Tracking Bug

Thanks,
Aaron

Michael Giuffrida

Jul 22, 2017, 3:38:02 PM7/22/17
to aga...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, v8-...@googlegroups.com
I, for one, welcome our new code review overlords.

That said, could the team put together a Known Issues doc with known problems and workarounds? It could save developers a lot of time.

For example, the fact that gerrit treats copied or split files as entirely new files and provides no diff is something I'd expect a lot of developers to independently hit. Rather than assume they're doing something wrong and try a bunch of fixes like `git cl upload --similarity=5`, they could see immediately what (if anything) they can do.

Similarly, is there any update on how long we can expect the site to lag when loading CLs, showing diffs, editing descriptions and commenting? Again, I point these out as examples of known issues, not something that blocks us from using Gerrit but something that'd be nice to know others are experiencing. Some sort of "service status" dashboard could be useful for us.

Aaron Gable

Jul 27, 2017, 2:18:58 PM7/27/17
to Michael Giuffrida, aga...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, v8-...@googlegroups.com
Reminder: Rietveld will start refusing uploads of new changes for src and v8 today. I will be landing and deploying this change early this afternoon, pacific time.

Michael, to address your questions: the FAQ does have a "known issues" section near the bottom, and many of the concerns you raise are already listed there. As I'm sure you're aware, fixing performance and latency issues is some of the most difficult work a team can tackle, but of the two specific instances you list, one has already been addressed (see the internal bug it links to). In addition, if you have access to internal google webpages, you can see the detailed dashboard for Gerrit here.

Aaron

Aaron Gable

Jul 27, 2017, 4:26:51 PM7/27/17
to Aaron Gable, Michael Giuffrida, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, v8-...@googlegroups.com
This is now done. You can still upload new patchsets to existing changes, and you can land any existing changes, but all brand new CLs in chromium/src and v8/v8 must go to Gerrit.

Thanks,
Aaron

Michael Giuffrida

Aug 1, 2017, 7:08:19 PM8/1/17
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 11:17 AM Aaron Gable <aga...@chromium.org> wrote:
Reminder: Rietveld will start refusing uploads of new changes for src and v8 today. I will be landing and deploying this change early this afternoon, pacific time.

Michael, to address your questions: the FAQ does have a "known issues" section near the bottom, and many of the concerns you raise are already listed there. As I'm sure you're aware, fixing performance and latency issues is some of the most difficult work a team can tackle, but of the two specific instances you list, one has already been addressed (see the internal bug it links to). In addition, if you have access to internal google webpages, you can see the detailed dashboard for Gerrit here.

I think your link points to a specific timestamp. Is this link without any query string better to use for real-time status?

Aaron Gable

Aug 2, 2017, 11:56:32 AM8/2/17
to Michael Giuffrida, Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, v8-...@googlegroups.com
Yep, sorry about that!