Custom x264 parameters

Joel Sutherland

May 21, 2018, 1:54:56 PM5/21/18
to Chromium-dev
I’d like to modify the parameters used when invoking the x264 video codec used by my Electron app. Do I need to custom-build Chromium to set these, and can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Chris Cunningham

May 21, 2018, 2:52:10 PM5/21/18
to jdsuth...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
If you're needing to change the ./configure options, you'll need to adjust the build_ffmpeg.py script, re-run it, and re-run other scripts we have (described here) to convert the "make" output into chrome's GN build system. Warning: Its a lot of steps.

If you just need to supply some runtime codec flags, you can do that in our ffmpeg_video_decoder wrapper prior to calling avcodec_open2(...). Example of that in our audio wrapper.

Good luck. Sorry I won't be able to offer much more - super busy.

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Joel Sutherland <jdsuth...@gmail.com> wrote:
I’d like to modify the parameters used when invoking the x264 video codec used by my Electron app. Do I need to custom-build Chromium to set these, and can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Joel Sutherland

May 22, 2018, 10:27:22 AM5/22/18
to Chris Cunningham, Chromium-dev
Hey Chris, thanks for your help.

I'm actually looking to modify the encoder (not decoder) settings. Any chance you could point me to that or give some insight?

Thanks!

Harald Alvestrand

May 22, 2018, 10:33:12 AM5/22/18
to jdsuth...@gmail.com, Chris Cunningham, Chromium-dev
Encoder work is probably better to ask about on the discuss-webrtc mailing list, since that's where the realtime folks hang out.

The answer varies depending on whether you are just tweaking encoder settings or actually negotiate a different H.264 profile.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/CAK9xKGPMaJJxDcJsVvi%2BoZoj2aWh8xc8L70EjEUhvvboky9Msg%40mail.gmail.com.