Re: [cros-dev] cannot see logs for render process

Sonny Rao

Mar 30, 2015, 12:26:19 AM3/30/15
to Xie, William, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Chromium-dev
+chromium-dev

I believe you need to disable sandboxing - try adding "--no-sandbox"
to /etc/chrome_dev.conf

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Xie, William <willi...@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added VLOG(0) in file cc/layers/video_layer_impl.cc and AppendQuads
> function,
>
> However, these logs were not presented in three log files: /var/log/ui,
> /var/log/chrome and /home/chronos/user/log/
>

> By gdb, I am sure these functions were reached when playing video,
>
> Anyone know how to enable logs for render process?
>

> William
>

> --

Xie, William

Mar 30, 2015, 2:38:03 AM3/30/15
to Sonny Rao, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Chromium-dev
Thank you, Sonny.

But looks like "--no-sandbox" is not supported on ChromeOS....

William

Xie, William

Mar 30, 2015, 4:18:40 AM3/30/15
to Sonny Rao, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Chromium-dev
Finally I use fprintf instead of VLOG and get it working.

Thank you

William

Mar 30, 2015, 10:47:52 AM3/30/15
to willi...@intel.com, Sonny Rao, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Chromium-dev
Whenever I want to grab a log from a renderer, I start Chrome as follows:

chrome --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox --renderer-cmd-prefix='xterm -e /path/to/logrenderer' --user-data-dir=/tmp/whatever/

And logrenderer is an executable shell script (chmod u+x logrenderer):

#!/bin/bash
"$@" |& tee "/tmp/chromelog-$$.log"

or

#!/bin/sh
"$@" 2>&1 | tee "/tmp/chromelog-$$.log"

You'll find the log files in /tmp/chromelog-PID.log.
It works for me on Linux, not sure about Chrome OS.

Kind regards,
 Rob
 https://robwu.nl

Chirantan Ekbote

Mar 30, 2015, 4:04:06 PM3/30/15
to r...@robwu.nl, willi...@intel.com, Sonny Rao, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Chromium-dev
VLOGs are not logged by default. You need to turn them on with the
--vmodule flag. See /etc/chrome_dev.conf on the device for how to do
this. If you're just logging stuff for debugging purposes and is not
going to go into the actual code, you could use LOG(WARNING) instead.
That will show up in all the logs.

Xie, William

Mar 30, 2015, 8:07:42 PM3/30/15
to Chirantan Ekbote, r...@robwu.nl, Sonny Rao, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Chromium-dev
Thank you Chirantan,
Your suggestion works for me.

William

ARaj

Jun 1, 2015, 8:30:44 AM6/1/15
to willi...@intel.com, Chirantan Ekbote, r...@robwu.nl, Sonny Rao, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Chromium-dev
I am facing this same problem on Windows OS. I added some logs in code that runs renderer process. These logs don't come at all. I used LOG(ERROR).
fprintf can't be used since it is a sandboxed process. Any suggestions?

Greg Thompson

Jun 2, 2015, 3:13:19 PM6/2/15
to araj...@gmail.com, willi...@intel.com, Chirantan Ekbote, r...@robwu.nl, Sonny Rao, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Chromium-dev
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:30 AM, ARaj <araj...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am facing this same problem on Windows OS. I added some logs in code that runs renderer process. These logs don't come at all. I used LOG(ERROR).
fprintf can't be used since it is a sandboxed process. Any suggestions?

Bruce

Jun 3, 2015, 7:38:08 PM6/3/15
to chromi...@chromium.org, g...@chromium.org, sonn...@chromium.org, araj...@gmail.com, r...@robwu.nl, chir...@chromium.org, chromiu...@chromium.org, willi...@intel.com
Whenever I try to use sawbuck the output is 95%+ this message, appearing dozens of times per second:

> ERROR 10344 10108 16:36:02-557 .\kernel_log_consumer.cc 492 Unexpected process info version 4

This makes it impossible to see any useful information. Does this work better for other people?

I'm running Windows 8.1 if that makes any difference.

Kogee

Jun 3, 2015, 8:23:01 PM6/3/15
to Bruce, chromi...@chromium.org, g...@chromium.org, sonn...@chromium.org, araj...@gmail.com, r...@robwu.nl, chir...@chromium.org, chromiu...@chromium.org, willi...@intel.com

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Subject: Re: [chromium-dev] RE: [cros-dev] cannot see logs for render process

Greg Thompson

Jun 3, 2015, 10:35:37 PM6/3/15
to bruce...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, Sonny Rao, araj...@gmail.com, Rob Wu, Chirantan Ekbote, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), willi...@intel.com
I'm on Win Server 2012 or something (the one that corresponds with plain-old Win8), and while there is some traffic for the "Unexpected process info" messages, it's not so bad. Sawbuck is open source. Perhaps the author could comment on what he thinks is needed to update it?

Dale Curtis

Aug 5, 2015, 12:19:49 PM8/5/15
to g...@chromium.org, Bruce Dawson, chromium-dev, Sonny Rao, araj...@gmail.com, Rob Wu, Chirantan Ekbote, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Xie, William
Just tried to use Sawbuck on Windows 10 and I get a garbed set of unicode characters for almost every log from Chrome. Funnily enough, the only one I do get in the clear is the kernel_log_consumer.cc spam one that Bruce complains about above.

Does anyone know of any workarounds for the junk display issue?

- dale

Greg Thompson

Aug 25, 2015, 3:00:47 PM8/25/15
to Dale Curtis, Bruce Dawson, chromium-dev, Sonny Rao, araj...@gmail.com, Rob Wu, Chirantan Ekbote, chromium-os-dev (chromium-os-dev@chromium.org), Xie, William
On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Dale Curtis <dalec...@chromium.org> wrote:
Just tried to use Sawbuck on Windows 10 and I get a garbed set of unicode characters for almost every log from Chrome. Funnily enough, the only one I do get in the clear is the kernel_log_consumer.cc spam one that Bruce complains about above.

Does anyone know of any workarounds for the junk display issue?

Install 32-bit Chrome.

Or add 64-bit support to Chrome's log provider and to Sawbuck. :-)