Pretty printers not working in GDB on Linux

Brett Wilson

Sep 19, 2017, 2:25:57 PM9/19/17
to Chromium-dev
For at least a few weeks now, std::strings don't show up in GDB when I debug on Linux. They appears as "<incomplete type>" when I print them. I believe other STL stuff is also broken.

This is on a Google Corp Linux workstation and my only GN args are:
  enable_nacl = true
  use_goma = true

I notice the pretty printers we have for things like base::flat_map and base::Value are also broken in my build. These worked a few months ago at least.

Is anybody else having this problem? Any ideas of what to do?

Thanks!
Brett

Aleks Totic

Sep 24, 2017, 7:12:13 AM9/24/17
to bre...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
I've seen <incomplete_type> error before. The cause was binary was compiled with these gn args:

use_debug_fission = true
gdb_index = true

gdb has a bug where it gets confused when both of these are true. gdb_index can no longer be turned off, so

use_debug_fission = false

in your gn args might help.

Aleks still on Tokyo time