Settings Override API update

Erik Kay

Apr 23, 2014, 5:13:47 PM4/23/14
to Chromium-extensions, chromium-dev
We wanted to update everyone on the status of the Settings Override
API[1]. Since we announced the API last month[2], we've made a few
enhancements to it. You can now use the localization infrastructure
in extensions to substitute search provider, homepage and startup URLs
on a per locale basis. Side-loaded extensions can now also substitute
a custom value from their Windows registry key, allowing install-time
customizations such as affiliate codes. Please see the
documentation[1] for details on these features.

The API has been available in dev and canary channels on Windows for
some time, but is now available in the beta channel as of today's
update and will be in the Chrome 35 stable channel when it's released.

We've also made an important change to our release schedule. We won't
be restricting other settings change mechanisms until Chrome 36. This
should give you another full release cycle to switch over to the new
API.

[1] https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/settings_override
[2] http://blog.chromium.org/2014/03/protecting-user-settings-on-windows.html