HTML5 video tag with H262 (MPEG-2) wrapped in MP4 container has sound but without display

chang jc

Aug 16, 2017, 9:40:41 PM8/16/17
to Chromium-dev
Dear all:

I have a simple HTML page with a MP4 movie, please access them at following link.

<!DOCTYPE html>
     <video width="320" height="240" controls>
       <source src="output.mp4" type="video/mp4">
	   Your browser does not support the video tag.
     </video>

The video is in following format:

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
Codec ID                                 : 61
Duration                                 : 30 s 831 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 1 315 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 15.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 704 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan type, store method                  : Separated fields (2 fields per block)
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.130
Stream size                              : 4.83 MiB (90%)

Notice that:
1. its codec is H.262(ISO/IEC 13818-2)
2. it is interlaced.

When playing, I can hear the sound but without seeing display.

I have some questions about:
1. Does Chrome support H.262?
2. If not so, is there any plugin in chrome store which is able to play it?
3. If both 1 & 2 are not, is there still a way to support it without transcoding?

Thanks in advance.

PhistucK

Aug 17, 2017, 2:52:14 AM8/17/17
to r979...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
H.262 is not supported according to https://www.chromium.org/audio-video.

You can search the store, I doubt you will find anything because it is not a free codec.

You cannot add native support for it, other than parsing it using JavaScript (or WebAssembly or the proprietary Portal Native Client) and constructing the images in a <canvas> and the audio using Web Audio, I guess. You can search for a JavaScript/Web Assembly/Portal Native Client based MPEG2/H.262 codec and perhaps use it. Note that there are licensing issues, though, it is a non-free codec, as far as I know.

PhistucK