Canary losing all cookies on every upgrade?

Avi Drissman

Nov 15, 2017, 9:59:56 AM11/15/17
to Chromium-dev
I keep my personal account on Canary. Yesterday or two days ago, I restarted to pick up the new canary, and Sync was broken, with the (!) icon, and every single tab was logged out.

I logged in every tab and redid Sync.

Today I restarted Canary to pick up the upgrade, and again my Sync broke and every site was logged out.

I'm not even sure where to file a bug here. I don't see a recent change with cookies.

Has anyone else seen this start to happen?

Avi

Avi Drissman

Nov 15, 2017, 10:49:13 AM11/15/17
to Chromium-dev
It seems like every time I restart Canary I lose all my cookies and my Sync token. I'm talking to the DICE people but if anyone else knows someone working on this please let me know.

Avi Drissman

Nov 15, 2017, 10:58:40 AM11/15/17
to Chromium-dev
Filed this as https://crbug.com/785288 .

Avi Drissman

Nov 15, 2017, 11:36:36 AM11/15/17
to Chromium-dev
Rebooting my Mac seems to have fixed things. Sorry for the noise.

Scott Violet

Nov 15, 2017, 12:09:37 PM11/15/17
to Avi Drissman, Chromium-dev
Wow, I'm surprised some rogue app could cause such problems. Did the (!) provide useful information, such as couldn't decrypt keychain?

  -Scott

Avi Drissman

Nov 15, 2017, 12:31:48 PM11/15/17
to Scott Violet, Chromium-dev
I was talking to the sync people who asked to see sync internals. From that they said that it was a failure to decrypt, which then led me to realize what had happened.

My theory is just a supposition, but it's a reasonable guess. Macs don't handle running out of memory very gracefully, and to me, the explanation of an OOM situation jamming a core system daemon feels quite possible.

Avi