how to optimize chrome.dll by pgo

Cai Huan

Sep 20, 2017, 4:58:23 AM9/20/17
to Chromium-dev
does anybody know how to optimize chorome.dll by using pgo

Sébastien Marchand

Sep 21, 2017, 9:00:23 AM9/21/17
to Cai Huan, chromium-dev
Yes, I'm travelling today and tomorrow but I'll be able to help you next week. What's the error you're having?

Le 20 sept. 2017 04 h 59, "Cai Huan" <cai.h...@gmail.com> a écrit :
does anybody know how to optimize chorome.dll by using pgo

Cai Huan

Sep 21, 2017, 11:35:06 AM9/21/17
to Chromium-dev, cai.h...@gmail.com
the python script post below message when i run merge_pgc_files.py

f:\liebao\source_code\chrome_2987_v57_original\src\out\release\chrome!45.pgc: Used 12.4% (57899296 / 468103168) of total
 space reserved.  0.0% of the counts were dropped due to overflow.
PGOMGR : fatal error PG0003: Unhandled exception: access violation exception at 0x00FC85D5 attempting to write at 0x0000
0036.
Message has been deleted

Cai Huan

Sep 24, 2017, 4:50:33 AM9/24/17
to Chromium-dev, cai.h...@gmail.com
hi~  :)

Sébastien Marchand

Sep 25, 2017, 4:35:23 AM9/25/17
to Cai Huan, Chromium-dev
Hey, sorry but as mentioned in my reply I was travelling and unable to reply earlier.

It looks like the script is using the 32-bit build of pgomgr.exe, is should be using the x64 one. Which version of the toolchain are you using?

--
Sébastien Marchand | Software Developer | sebma...@google.com

Cai Huan

Sep 25, 2017, 4:42:58 AM9/25/17
to Chromium-dev, cai.h...@gmail.com

i use 64 bit pgosweep.exe to run benchmark and using 64 bit pgomgr.exe to merge pgc files
Message has been deleted

Cai Huan

Sep 25, 2017, 9:53:28 AM9/25/17
to Chromium-dev, cai.h...@gmail.com
i add configs += [ "//build/config/compiler/pgo:default_pgo_flags" ] to chrome/BUILD.gn

pgo for chrome_child.dll is ok~but chrome.dll post error

Daniel Bratell

Sep 25, 2017, 12:26:10 PM9/25/17
to Chromium-dev, Cai Huan
I don't have any specifics for this error but I know that pgomgr has bad error handling so there might be something wrong with  chrome!45.pgc. Maybe you can investigate that file.

/Daniel
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/134e01d0-a250-4702-b4e4-f5af1d3555cc%40chromium.org.

--
/* Opera Software, Linköping, Sweden: CET (UTC+1) */

Cai Huan

Sep 25, 2017, 12:43:40 PM9/25/17
to Chromium-dev, cai.h...@gmail.com
thanks   :)

Sébastien Marchand

Sep 25, 2017, 8:06:30 PM9/25/17
to Cai Huan, Chromium-dev
Hey,

note that PGO is only supported for chrome_child.dll , there's no guarantee that it'll work for chrome.dll.

Cai Huan

Sep 25, 2017, 10:30:04 PM9/25/17
to Chromium-dev, cai.h...@gmail.com
thank you very much. : )
i wanna making chrome faster by chrome.dll pgo but it looks like mistake

Cai Huan

Sep 26, 2017, 3:10:59 AM9/26/17
to Chromium-dev, cai.h...@gmail.com
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/831502/pgomg-exe-stack-overflow-when-trying-to-merge-pgc-files
i find you posted chrome.dll pgo bug three years ago and this problem will be fixed in the next update   (´・ω・`)

Sébastien Marchand

Sep 26, 2017, 10:18:56 PM9/26/17
to cai.h...@gmail.com, chromium-dev
It was for a different issue, this was a stack overflow in pgomgr.exe directly, in this case it's an issue with the profile database (the pgc and pgd files).

Daniel Bratell

Sep 27, 2017, 11:31:17 AM9/27/17
to Chromium-dev, Cai Huan
I have done such experiments and it had no big impact. Opera is structured differently so our PGO optimizes a bit more code than Chrome does, but the majority of heavy processing is done in the renderers so optimizing anything else has only a small impact.

The browser process is also a bit tricky to PGO-optimize correctly because it's by design mostly idle. It is easy for PGO to get the impression that no code matter (and it might be mostly right).

So if you can get PGO working on chrome_child.dll it should be good enough.

/Daniel

Cai Huan

Sep 30, 2017, 4:55:19 AM9/30/17
to Chromium-dev, cai.h...@gmail.com