Fwd: Intent to implement: Use ESLint for lint checking WebUI JS code.

Demetrios Papadopoulos

May 15, 2017, 5:09:57 PM5/15/17
to Chromium-dev, Dan Beam, Rachel Blum

Hi Chromium devs,

Summary

Planning to introduce ESLint to the toolchain to perform lint checks on WebUI's JavaScript codebase. More details can be found in this design document.

The document covers the following topics, and has already been circulated within the WebUI team (via a more narrow mailing list):

  • Expected benefits
  • Why using ESLint?
  • Relationship (and separation of concerns) between clang-format and ESLint
  • How will ESLint be integrated to Chromium's toolchain (gclient sync + PRESUBMIT)?
  • Impact on dependencies size and PRESUBMIT scripts
If you have comments/questions, feel free to ask here or on the document. If you are enthusiastic about a more consistent codebase, more automation and less stylistic comments during code reviews, feel free to show your support :>

I am planning to request a formal chrome-eng-review soon, by forwarding the design doc to the appropriate mailing list (as well as to legal/security mailing lists).

Thank you,
Demetrios

Dan Beam

May 18, 2017, 3:25:32 PM5/18/17
to Demetrios Papadopoulos, Chromium-dev, Rachel Blum
On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Demetrios Papadopoulos <dpa...@chromium.org> wrote:

Hi Chromium devs,

Summary

Planning to introduce ESLint to the toolchain to perform lint checks on WebUI's JavaScript codebase. More details can be found in this design document.

The document covers the following topics, and has already been circulated within the WebUI team (via a more narrow mailing list):

  • Expected benefits
  • Why using ESLint?
  • Relationship (and separation of concerns) between clang-format and ESLint
  • How will ESLint be integrated to Chromium's toolchain (gclient sync + PRESUBMIT)?
  • Impact on dependencies size and PRESUBMIT scripts
If you have comments/questions, feel free to ask here or on the document. If you are enthusiastic about a more consistent codebase, more automation and less stylistic comments during code reviews, feel free to show your support :>

I think this would make a great replacement for the Closure linter I removed a few months ago.

-- Dan

Michael Giuffrida

May 18, 2017, 10:22:17 PM5/18/17
to dpa...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, Dan Beam, Rachel Blum
SGTM. Looks like a robust tool that can improve the development process if we use it well.

After this lands, would we want to integrate "eslint --fix" into "git cl format"?