Are there any interests in making the WebM parser a public interface?

Michael Bradshaw

Aug 25, 2015, 6:24:57 PM8/25/15
to Chromium-dev, Rob Gaunt, Richard Leider
I have need of a WebM parser, and for a few reasons (license, stability, etc.) have some interests in Chromium's WebM parser. Are there any interests within the Chromium team to make the WebM parser an externally consumable API?

If so, then I would like to collaborate with you in this process of exposing the WebM parser as an externally consumable API (including adding support for more WebM features, like Cues).

If not, then I'll find/create an alternative solution.

Thanks,

Michael Bradshaw

Scott Graham

Aug 25, 2015, 6:49:42 PM8/25/15
to mjb...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Rob Gaunt, Richard Leider
Do you mean you want to use it inside the Chrome code base somehow? Or access something from page content that you can't get at now?

If you just want C code to do the parse, it's already a separate-ish project I believe (?): http://www.webmproject.org/code/.

Xiaohan Wang (王消寒)

Aug 25, 2015, 7:01:42 PM8/25/15
to Scott Graham, renga...@chromium.org, Dale Curtis, mjb...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Rob Gaunt, Richard Leider
+Pangu and Dale

Matthew Wolenetz

Aug 25, 2015, 7:03:11 PM8/25/15
to xhw...@chromium.org, Scott Graham, renga...@chromium.org, Dale Curtis, mjb...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Rob Gaunt, Richard Leider
And, if inside the Chrome code base, for the HTML5 Media Source Extension API (MSE), we have a rudimentary WebM stream parser (src/media/formats/webm). It may not handle everything you want; it is tailored specifically to parse and accept/reject streams according to the MSE WebM byte stream restrictions (spec: http://w3c.github.io/media-source/webm-byte-stream-format.html) as used in MSE API (spec: http://w3c.github.io/media-source/).

Michael Bradshaw

Aug 25, 2015, 7:33:46 PM8/25/15
to Xiaohan Wang (王消寒), Scott Graham, renga...@chromium.org, Dale Curtis, Chromium-dev, Rob Gaunt, Richard Leider
On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Scott Graham <sco...@chromium.org> wrote:
Do you mean you want to use it inside the Chrome code base somehow? Or access something from page content that you can't get at now?

If you just want C code to do the parse, it's already a separate-ish project I believe (?): http://www.webmproject.org/code/.

Sorry for not being clear.

Yes, I mean using the C++ code in another native application. I'm actually talking about the parser from here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch#chromium/src/media/formats/webm/webm_stream_parser.h (which, as far as I can tell, doesn't use libwebm for parsing)

Unfortunately I can't use libwebm (see go/webm-readme-notice) or libmatroska, and am investigating if there's a way here to natively parse WebM files without unnecessarily duplicating past efforts. I need a native (C or C++) WebM parser, and I can either: 1) write one, or 2) augment and use Chromium's WebM parser. If I were to go with option 2, I would have to make some modifications to Chromium's WebM parser (in order to add support for Cues and maybe some other things). I'm not sure adding more features to Chromium's WebM parser (and supporting it as library which external programs could consume) is seen as desirable or not, which is the purpose of this query. To be clear, this would involve:

  • Adding features to WebMStreamParser so it can handle more WebM features (like Cues)
  • Supporting WebMStreamParser & co as a native library with an externally exposed API
  • Other things I'm sure I haven't thought of yet

If that is not desirable for Chromium and the team, then I'll go with option 1 and write a (separate) WebM parser.