Web application become unresponsive on chrome

Rahul Tiwari

Nov 29, 2016, 3:26:39 AM11/29/16
to Chromium-dev
Hi,

We are facing some bizarre issue with our web application when we run it on chrome. All the operations on the application executes as expected but on some days when we execute very basic and common features of the application, chrome starts displaying this pop-up stating  : -
      "The following page has become unresponsive. You can wait for it to become responsive or kill it. With two options of Wait and Kill."

So we are wondering, why sometimes application showing this unexpected behavior. So need your help to figure out what could be possible cause of this.

Little Application Background :
  1. Analytics application so having multiple tabs with multiple charts and Grids on each tabs.
  2. A DOM intensive application with operations on large data.
  3. Developed using EXTJs -4.2 for complete UI and JAVA for the Backend,
  4. CometD as Messaging server.
  4. Appplication deployed on Jetty server.

So we have figured out few areas which could have been causing problems but having hard time to identify exact cause.
Possible areas of concern :
1. Rendering of charts, grids and other UI component on Chorme.
2. Slow internet or network by application accessed.
3. Heavy request to the sever  and heavy response data from the server.

So any thoughts what could be causing this possible.
Also are there any tools or plugins etc. which can be useful to identify exact problematic area.

Thanks,
 Rahul

Lucas Gadani

Nov 29, 2016, 2:27:58 PM11/29/16
to rahulti...@gmail.com, chromium-dev, Will Harris, Dave Tapuska
This is a known issue that so far we haven't been able to track down.

It would be awesome if you could provide a reproducible test case or at least help narrow it down.

cc'ing some people who worked on this.

Rahul Tiwari

Nov 30, 2016, 11:10:16 PM11/30/16
to Lucas Gadani, chromium-dev, Will Harris, Dave Tapuska
we have not found much around it but we got one reproducible case as :

Steps :
 In our application on login, we fetch configurations file (.xml) from server and data of which we store in indexed DB so that in successive logins we do not have to fetch these configs again and again.

So what we did to reproduce this, we put large data in one of the xml file around 50lacs rows which is around 150mb and when on first login when data has to come from server it was taking long time due to large file so spinner on my application got still (no movement)and application become unresponsive for quite some time and then this pop up appeared stating..
     "The following page has become unresponsive. You can wait for it to become responsive or kill it. With two options of Wait and Kill."

I clicked on wait multiple times and it worked after that.
So if this could give some insight what possibly would be going wrong here and which we suspect can happen with small data around 500kb when internet/network speed is very low.

Need your help in understanding this behavior why this happening and if this can happen with small response data as well, as we suspect.

Thanks,
 Rahul

Rahul Tiwari

Jan 2, 2017, 12:27:52 AM1/2/17
to Lucas Gadani, chromium-dev, Will Harris, Dave Tapuska
Do we have anything on this issue which we can try and do to stop from this is happening.
and during our investigation we also observed few things here and need to discuss :
1.There any link between slow network over which response is sent have to do anything with this chrome unresponsive popup message.
2. The server which is responsible to generate response if it becomes too slow then what impact it has on chrome being unresponsive while presenting that data on UI.

Really need some help as it is going to be a major issue with application and having hard time to track down the issue.

PhistucK

Jan 2, 2017, 1:33:06 AM1/2/17
to Rahul Tiwari, Lucas Gadani, chromium-dev, Will Harris, Dave Tapuska
Server or response times should not matter unless you are using synchronous XMLHttpRequest calls (or some Flash based synchronous fetching mechanism), I believe.

PhistucK

---