Search Engine Preloads

Bryan Quigley

May 23, 2015, 12:23:32 AM5/23/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi,

How do you determine what search engines come preloaded?  (Ask.com Yahoo, Bing, etc)

I vaguely recall it's based on the Top 5 search engines in that country, but I can't recall what data set is used for that.

Duck Duck Go has made it to the top 5 in the USA, UK, Ireland, Spain, France and Mexico according to gs.statcounter.com for at least the last 30 days.  At what point would it make it into Chrome's default preload list?

Thanks!
Bryan

Peter Kasting

May 23, 2015, 1:42:26 AM5/23/15
to gqu...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
We don't reveal publicly the criteria used to create these lists.

PK

Nico Weber

May 23, 2015, 5:06:34 AM5/23/15
to Peter Kasting, gqu...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Having said that, as you can see here https://code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch#chromium/src/components/search_engines/template_url_prepopulate_data.cc&rcl=1432352500&l=49 most countries have three pre-defined search engines, so it's probably not based on a top 5 list.

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 10:41 PM, Peter Kasting <pkas...@chromium.org> wrote:
We don't reveal publicly the criteria used to create these lists.

PK

Bryan Quigley

May 28, 2015, 10:55:18 AM5/28/15
to chromi...@chromium.org