dcheck_always_on just for GPU main waterfall bots

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Apr 27, 2016, 11:15:45 AM4/27/16
to chromium-dev, infr...@chromium.org
This is a discussion thread for https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=606700 . Please read the bug for context.

I understand both the reasons for filing the bug, and pushback against changing non-GPU main waterfall bots.

I'm not sure how would we allow exceptions in generalized trybot mirroring to have some main waterfall builders configured directly than others.

We require all builders mirrored by a trybot to use the same settings for compile, because that allows accurately mirroring all of them. If we allow differences, the trybot wouldn't properly mirror one or more of its main waterfall bots.

My suggestion is to wait with this until DM is ready and we can get rid of the concept of a builder. That would allow us to easily use build artifacts compiled with different settings for each test while maintaining efficiency.

Does that make sense?

Paweł

Kenneth Russell

Apr 27, 2016, 2:04:16 PM4/27/16
to Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev, infr...@chromium.org
Sorry, I don't think it's acceptable to wait on this. The increased coverage is needed now. Perhaps we could add a mechanism to trybots.py to allow an exception between certain builder configurations; i.e.,

      'linux_chromium_rel_ng': {
        'bot_ids': [
          {
            'mastername': 'chromium.linux',
            'buildername': 'Linux Builder',
            'tester': 'Linux Tests',
          },
          {
            'mastername': 'chromium.gpu',
            'buildername': 'GPU Linux Builder',
            'tester': 'Linux Release (NVIDIA)',
          },
        ],
        'builder_config_difference_exceptions': [
          'dcheck',
        ],
      },

-Ken

Does that make sense?

Paweł

Dirk Pranke

Apr 27, 2016, 3:16:36 PM4/27/16
to Kenneth Russell, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev, infr...@chromium.org
As I replied on the bug, if the reason that we're getting errors in this case is because of a mismatch in GYP_DEFINES, this is a bad reason to raise an error, because the builder-side configurations for this are (sort of) lies and the actual GYP_DEFINES are set src-side by MB and different between tryservers and waterfall bots anyway.

So, we can (and should) just fix this particular case, which I will try to look at later today.

The more general issue is harder, but I don't know that it needs to be solved right now.

-- Dirk