Modern animation formats, namely MNG

blank lo_ok

Jul 25, 2011, 6:28:51 PM7/25/11
to Chromium-dev
What (if any) developments are planned for the implementation of
animated image formats such as MNG?

Evan Martin

Jul 25, 2011, 6:32:20 PM7/25/11
to blanklo...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
pkasting "oh hells no" in 3... 2...

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM, blank lo_ok <blanklo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What (if any) developments are planned for the implementation of
> animated image formats such as MNG?

Peter Kasting

Jul 25, 2011, 8:44:49 PM7/25/11
to blanklo...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM, blank lo_ok <blanklo...@gmail.com> wrote:
What (if any) developments are planned for the implementation of
animated image formats such as MNG?

We don't currently have plans to implement MNG.  Like other browser vendors, we've so far seen little demand for this from web authors.  Most authors who aren't satisfied with GIF have thus far used Flash, but increasingly, open standards like 2D & 3D CSS animations, WebGL, <canvas>, etc. are able to meet authors' needs here.

If we were to implement a new animated image format, we'd be much more likely to implement Mozilla's APNG format than MNG.  But even APNG, despite a much more focused design and a shipping implementation in Firefox, has seen almost no uptake on the web and no consensus to formally adopt it on the part of the PNG spec maintainers.

PK

Jonathan Dixon

Jul 26, 2011, 4:25:35 AM7/26/11
to pkas...@google.com, blanklo...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev