Your help & patience with Content Modularization, Mojoification is greatly appreciated!

Ben Goodger (Google)

Jun 29, 2016, 1:01:26 PM6/29/16
to Chromium-dev
Chromies,

The Content Modularization and Mojoification effort[1] is well under way with the following major sub-efforts:

- Chrome IPC->Mojo IPC migration.
- UI Service (Mus)
- Network Service

The result of this is a lot of churn in the Content layer & environs as this is one of the most significant architectural changes to the Chrome platform stack since the Content refactor 5+ years ago. As stated previously the goals are hygiene and flexibility through modularization.

As with all large scale changes, there will be bugs. There are problems we don't know about yet, or at least don't know how to solve yet. That's OK. We will work through these in due course, and fix issues as they arise as quickly as possible.

I'm asking for everyone's cooperation in making sure this process goes as smoothly as possible. People working on the initiatives above are already working closely with feature teams to understand the implications of the migration - this collaboration has been fruitful and I hope to see continued constructive dialogue as we rework the innards of Chrome.

Thanks,

-Ben

John Abd-El-Malek

Jun 29, 2016, 1:56:44 PM6/29/16
to Ben Goodger, Chromium-dev
Along these lines, while we also have general idea of how things will turn out, it's impossible to have a complete design for exactly how everything will look in a year or two. That's why a lot of these efforts are scoped into multiple parts. So while we're working on part 1, we might not have thought deeply about a detail of part 2 or 3. We don't know of any critical obstacles that would prevent these future steps from functioning, so if anyone has insights on why the project won't work, that's definitely helpful to discuss. But if we're asked for implementation details of future steps, we may respond that we'll figure it out when we get there. It's not meant to be dismissive, but as a way for us to focus on current step and make progress.