Chrome App Not Automatically Updating?

Rick Yoder

Jan 21, 2017, 3:29:00 PM1/21/17
to Chromium-Apps-Announce
Hello. I released a Chrome App on the web store a couple months ago, and my users have been experiencing issues with it.

The app is an offline-enabled PDF viewer, that I named XPDF Viewer (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cidgnmhjmdpelmhmgkmodalhfceemodi/). People have been saying their PDF files wouldn't open, even though I had it working fine on my Chromebook. At least 3 people reported a problem, and the app is now at a 2 star rating.

It's my first serious Chrome App, so I just recently realized that the people who reported problems were still using version 0.0.2 of the app, when I've been releasing subsequent versions for over a month now. I read here that I shouldn't have to worry about auto-updating considering I publish using the Chrome Developer Dashboard. But is this outdated information? Do I need to specify an update URL in my manifest for my app? If so, how would I go about doing that? I read the rest of that page, but if it's outdated I want the latest information.

I appreciate any help or guidance you can give me. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rick Yoder, XBit LLC