Chrome App - Performance lags while not in foreground.

William Fligor

Apr 27, 2015, 2:38:54 PM4/27/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
I have a chrome app which is used to get data from the chrome serial API, and repeat it over a websocket server based on the chrome example websocket server. Recently, after a chrome update mid april, the app stopped performing while not in the foreground.

When the app is not in the foreground the communication slows to a crawl and impacts my apps performance. This has been replicated on multiple OSX machines - other platforms I have not tested.

The part of the app doing the communication is not in a background js file. Would moving it there fix this problem?

Thanks - William Fligor

William Fligor

Apr 27, 2015, 2:39:41 PM4/27/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
The serial data request to websockets happens about every 50ms in the foreground, and every second when the app is not in the foreground. Prior to a recent update there was no difference.

Reilly Grant

Apr 28, 2015, 5:00:24 PM4/28/15
to William Fligor, chromi...@chromium.org
Can you file a bug on crbug.com with your OS and Chrome version details?