YouTube Plus extension taken down over a month ago, never received a single explanation

Particle

May 20, 2017, 12:30:38 PM5/20/17
to Chromium-Apps-Announce
My extension with id nkdalpbojfdilmiboaiedicdbigdabpb was taken down from the web store over a month ago. I was never sent a single email explaining why this happened, which is directly against Google's Policy enforcement:

[1]
In the event that your Product is removed from Chrome Web Store, you will receive an email notification to that effect.

Since the take down I have already tried to find out why my extension was removed from the webstore - seeing that I never received the mentioned email - using Google forums and the Developer support contact form located here: https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/contact/developer_support/

Of all of these contact attempts I have only been replied back two times and only as a reply to the support contact form. On both of those replies I was told that the situation would be "escalated" to the review team, but I am still waiting to this day for a single email explaining why my extension was taken down.

During all of this process the extension was re-submitted for manual review 5 times, I have changed the extension name to Particle for YouTube, I have removed the icon and I have even changed the extension description, all the time trying to understand what could be the reason for the take down.

None of the manual reviews were approved and I am still waiting for a single email explaining why the extension was taken down in the first place and subsequent failed reviews.

I am now on my last attempt at trying to find out what happened and I am posting here as a direct instruction from the Webstore's own terms:

[2]
 If you have any questions or concerns regarding a removal, you may contact us at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-apps/.

What has been happening is nothing but despicable, disrespectful towards developers and it is very clear that the webstore team's own words are worth absolutely nothing (see [1]) and deserve no respect as a direct result of not paying the minimum respect to the developers.

My extension is a 4.74 stars extension with over 378 votes and more than 38.000 users. It was a simple userscript adapted as a chrome extension and there was nothing else that wasn't in the userscript, which can be found here: https://github.com/ParticleCore/Particle/blob/master/src/Userscript/YouTubePlus.user.js

There is nothing there that could be constructed as dangerous code, code that spied on users or anything worth using to justify taking down the extension. It was, for all intent and purpose, a client-side script that improved the users' experience on YouTube, there is no remote code execution, home beacons or any sort of external resource loading.

It doesn't do anything different than the Magic Actions extension, for example, but that one is still up and running, unless the only reason for why that hasn't met the same fate as mine is because it is very popular, I can't see any other reason.

I demand an explanation from the CWS team for why my extension was taken down from the webstore.

David Brodbeck

May 24, 2017, 6:06:44 PM5/24/17
to Chromium-Apps-Announce
Was it actually called "YouTube Plus"?  I think they frequently ban extensions that use someone else's trademarked brand in their name.

GPG Key Fingerprint: 0DB7 4B50 8910 DBC5 B510 79C4 3970 2BC3 2078 D875

Particle

May 24, 2017, 6:17:40 PM5/24/17
to Chromium-Apps-Announce
It was, I did mention that "YouTube Plus extension ..." and "... I have changed the extension name to Particle for YouTube ...". I have finally received a reply confirming that I should have been sent the email explaining why the extension was taken down, but since I had already changed whatever was in violation of their guidelines they restored the extension.

Exactly what was violated is still a mystery to me.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-apps/.