I wonder if I can insert a game with an exe extension into a chrome app

Keith D. Bart

Feb 23, 2015, 1:01:10 PM2/23/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
I wonder if I can insert a game with an exe extension into a chrome app? The way I understand is that a game would have to be made first and then placed into an app like any file (txt, doc,xml,jpg,pgn, etc.). Please let me know and how. I would pretty much appreciate it. Thank you.

Ken Rockot

Feb 23, 2015, 1:11:28 PM2/23/15
to Keith D. Bart, Chromium Apps
You cannot distribute a native executable as part of a chrome app. What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe you don't really need a native executable. One of the central advantages to using the chrome apps platform is the avoidance of platform dependencies inherent to native code.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Keith D. Bart <hawkey...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder if I can insert a game with an exe extension into a chrome app? The way I understand is that a game would have to be made first and then placed into an app like any file (txt, doc,xml,jpg,pgn, etc.). Please let me know and how. I would pretty much appreciate it. Thank you.

Michael Day

Feb 23, 2015, 1:40:56 PM2/23/15
to Ken Rockot, Keith D. Bart, Chromium Apps
If you need to use something other than the standard web stack that Chrome apps are built on, you might want to checkout Native Client (https://developer.chrome.com/native-client). That’s really your only option for writing your app in any other languages. There is no other way to distribute native executable code in a chrome app, like Ken said. Remember that Chrome apps are built to run on multiple platforms (e.g., Windows, Mac, Linux), and processors (x86, ARM).

On Mon Feb 23 2015 at 12:11:27 PM CST Ken Rockot <roc...@chromium.org> wrote:
You cannot distribute a native executable as part of a chrome app. What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe you don't really need a native executable. One of the central advantages to using the chrome apps platform is the avoidance of platform dependencies inherent to native code.
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Keith D. Bart <hawkey...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder if I can insert a game with an exe extension into a chrome app? The way I understand is that a game would have to be made first and then placed into an app like any file (txt, doc,xml,jpg,pgn, etc.). Please let me know and how. I would pretty much appreciate it. Thank you.

Keith D. Bart

Feb 23, 2015, 4:56:03 PM2/23/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
I want to be able to write a city simulation game where the only neighbors a player would have is Non-Player Character (NPC) or computer and instead of 2 NPC neighbors maybe like 10 NPC neighbors. My backgrounds would be like ground on top of water in layers and everything like all types of buildings and road surfaces would be sprites.

Keith D. Bart

Feb 25, 2015, 6:15:06 PM2/25/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Is Javascript one of the languages for chrome apps and ext? cause it seems like .jason and .js files are javescript files and I have an editor which will write javascript as well as html. does chrome canary has something to write the codes on my laptop in the browser and then save in my folder on my laptop?

Keith D. Bart

Michael Day

Feb 26, 2015, 12:06:51 PM2/26/15
to Keith D. Bart, Chromium Apps, Ken Rockot
Any editor can write html and javascript because they are only text, and they don't need to be compiled to be run. You're going to want to write your files in a text editor (like notepad) or a code editor (like the one you already use, or Sublime Text), then load them in Chrome. There is a good tutorial you can follow along with to create your first app here https://developer.chrome.com/apps/first_app. Good luck!

Keith D. Bart

Feb 26, 2015, 12:54:00 PM2/26/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
does all chrome json files are called manifest or is that just for in that tutorial?

Michael Day

Feb 26, 2015, 1:37:48 PM2/26/15
to Keith D. Bart, Chromium Apps
There is only one manifest file. It tells Chrome some important things about your app, such as it's name and what script to run to start it. A simple chrome app might have the following files:

1. Manifest file - this tells Chrome about your app, and includes it's name, background script, and more.
2. background.js - this file is defined in your manifest, and Chrome will run it when your app starts. It typically creates a new window, perhaps opening an html file called main.html
3. main.html - This is the file that your new window will open. From this point, you are mostly dealing with a normal web page / web app, and can include any html or javascript you want (in external files loaded with the <script> tag)

Try following the tutorial step by step to get a feel for it.

Michael

Keith D. Bart

Feb 26, 2015, 6:30:11 PM2/26/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Now I know that I need to use "permission": ["tab"] to open my packaged html doc in a new tab. I was going to call my html doc "main.html" and I would like a sample of how to call it up in manifest.json and background.js

Michael Day

Feb 27, 2015, 1:29:08 PM2/27/15
to Keith D. Bart, Chromium Apps
Tab permissions are only for extensions. Extensions are more like the little buttons that you can install next to the URL bar. Apps are entire apps that open a window and have their own icons and appear in the launcher. I think what you want to do is create an app.

Try following the tutorial step by step to build a "Hello World" app. This will walk you through creating "manifest.json", "background.js", and "main.html".

There's a lot more Chrome app examples here, too (much more complicated ones): https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chrome-app-samples/tree/master/samples