Removal of Extension due to multiple uses policy voilation

Alex Kornel

Apr 22, 2016, 8:10:48 AM4/22/16
to Chromium-Apps-Announce
Hi,

My app recently got taken down and was said to not have a single purpose. My app has a single well defined purpose - Show "personalized news on the new tab".

Interacting with the email chromewebstor...@google.com has been a supremely frustrating experience. All they tell me is that the app has multiple purposes and hence has been taken down.
I reply describing what is the single purpose of my app and what parts of the functionality I have removed and if they could tell me what are the specific elements that they consider as "multiple functionality. The reply to all such emails is a copy paste of the original policy stating that you cannot have multiple purposes.

Here is my doubt, unless it is specified that these set of X things cannot be done together, any 2 parts of any app can be broken into 2 components and said to have 2 functionalities. eg. an app that shows current temperature can be said to have 3 different functions - show temperature number, show temperature unit and show the minimal design behind them. Similarly any 2 disconnected functionalities can be combined into a single purpose - "to enhance the user's experience". WTF exactly are the set of things that you cannot do together!!

I'm attaching the email thread with webstore support and the crx file of my plugin for reference. Any ideas will be highly appreciated. I'm spent more than 6 months building this product, got 25 reviews all 5* just after launch and then bam... hit this wall!! Please help!

Regards,
Alex

newspronmpt.crx
Gmail - Chrome Web Store_ Removal notification for Newsprompt_ Breaking News Summary.pdf