Adsense for packaged apps

Michael McDaid

Apr 18, 2013, 2:21:51 PM4/18/13
to chromi...@chromium.org
I want to put some ads in a packaged app to see if they generate any kind of return.
The FAQ states

Can I use Google AdSense in my web app? Yes, as Chrome Web Store apps are just web apps.

Is this true for hosted apps only? I appreciate this maybe a question for the adsense team but I am trying here first.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe Marini

Apr 18, 2013, 2:45:45 PM4/18/13
to Michael McDaid, Chromium Apps
Yes, currently. We haven't yet implemented a solution for packaged apps.

Joe Marini
Developer Advocate / Chrome

Paul Neave

May 23, 2013, 12:51:55 PM5/23/13
to chromi...@chromium.org, Michael McDaid
I would love to see a solution for using AdSense in packaged apps. According to the Web store program policies "Currently, AdSense may not be used to serve ads in Chrome extensions or packaged apps, per AdSense policies."

I've starred issue 132602 which is tracking this problem. We need ways to montenize our packaged apps, otherwise developers will simply stick to using hosted web apps.

Thanks,
Paul.

Joe Marini

May 23, 2013, 12:53:57 PM5/23/13
to Paul Neave, Michael McDaid, Chromium Apps

We actually are working on this. Stay tuned.

Alejandro Pedraza

Jun 5, 2013, 2:45:24 PM6/5/13
to chromi...@chromium.org, Michael McDaid
I've just stumbled across these which hint at the work being done to support ads. The second link hints at an Admob SDK for Chrome Apps.

Paul Neave

Jun 5, 2013, 2:55:05 PM6/5/13
to Alejandro Pedraza, chromi...@chromium.org
That looks great, thanks for the heads-up. There's already a flag in Chrome to enable this. Hopefully we will have some news and documentation on how to use it soon, maybe Chrome 28?

Issue 180618 has more info on the <adview> tag.

Paul.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chromium Apps" group.

Fady Samuel

Jun 5, 2013, 3:01:44 PM6/5/13
to Paul Neave, Alejandro Pedraza, chromi...@chromium.org
The <adview> API has not been fully implemented yet, and there's still some internal work to be done to make sure ads can safely/securely be embedded in apps.

Fady

Philip S.

Jul 29, 2013, 6:58:09 PM7/29/13
to chromi...@chromium.org
Presumably it would be OK to have an iframe which contains the adsense unit as this would be isolated from the extension and therefore not have security concerns? Can google please confirm?

Paul Neave

Jul 30, 2013, 3:23:08 AM7/30/13
to Philip S., chromi...@chromium.org
I'm pretty certain using an AdSense unit inside an iframe is against the terms of service. I don't even think iframes can be used in packaged apps either. The main problem is the way AdSense works - it needs to be able to scan the web page for keywords to show appropriate ads, as well as have cookie info to track the user. These things can't be done in an off-web, packaged app.

Paul.

On Monday, 29 July 2013 at 23:58, Philip S. wrote:

Presumably it would be OK to have an iframe which contains the adsense unit as this would be isolated from the extension and therefore not have security concerns? Can google please confirm?

Joe Marini

Jul 30, 2013, 3:28:53 AM7/30/13
to Paul Neave, Philip S., Chromium Apps
IFRAMEs can be used in Packaged Apps, but Paul is right that this won't help you with AdSense anyway.

Michael Cann

Feb 7, 2014, 9:05:30 AM2/7/14
to chromi...@chromium.org
Has there been any movement on this? Can we still not use Adsense in our apps?

Joe Marini

Feb 11, 2014, 3:38:31 PM2/11/14
to Michael Cann, Chromium Apps
Not currently. Third-party Ad networks are allowed however.

Joe Marini
Developer Advocate / Chrome Apps, Extensions, Web Store

Michael Cann

Feb 11, 2014, 4:07:03 PM2/11/14
to Joe Marini, Chromium Apps
Can you suggest a third party ad network to use?

Joe Marini

Feb 11, 2014, 4:10:20 PM2/11/14
to Michael Cann, Chromium Apps
I don't have the ability to suggest third-party networks, sorry.

Alejandro Pedraza

Feb 12, 2014, 10:04:05 AM2/12/14
to chromi...@chromium.org, Joe Marini
Mike,

Unfortunately the implementation of most, if not all, ad networks for the web consist on javascript injection which doesn't work in packaged apps. I also tried through webviews but I just couldn't make it work. I ended up serving a couple of ads myself, from advertisers I negotiated with directly. Not optimal. Maybe I will start my own ad network targeted at packaged apps :-P

--Alejandro

Joe Marini

Feb 12, 2014, 11:42:52 AM2/12/14
to Alejandro Pedraza, Chromium Apps

You can do JavaScript injection in packaged apps, it just has to be done in a sandboxed page.

Michael Cann

Feb 12, 2014, 12:18:54 PM2/12/14
to Joe Marini, Alejandro Pedraza, Chromium Apps
Yes that is precisely what I DONT want to do. Ad injection is really evil IMO.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chromium Apps" group.

Joe Marini

Feb 12, 2014, 12:22:31 PM2/12/14
to Michael Cann, Alejandro Pedraza, Chromium Apps
Oh, I thought you were referring to something else, sorry.

Sondre Bjellås

Dec 5, 2014, 4:21:47 AM12/5/14
to chromi...@chromium.org, paul....@gmail.com, mcda...@googlemail.com
Now that it's been a year and a half since you first mentioned you where working on this, what is the status?

Also, please clarify better on your website's FAQ so developers don't go on wild goose-chases trying to find solutions to a problem that clearly does not work: https://developer.chrome.com/webstore/faq?csw=1#faq-app-05

It should clarify that this only applies to HOSTED Chrome Apps.

I mean you clearly want us to make free apps, as those are installed a lot more than paid. You have a great platform for building and promoting apps, but right now there is no way for us to monetize (through Google) at all on our work? That's very unfortunate.

- Sondre

brais perez

Dec 8, 2014, 6:47:31 AM12/8/14
to chromi...@chromium.org, mcda...@googlemail.com
Adsense is idle in this market, but I think facebook is going to be here soon, with his new product Atlas.

Sondre Bjellås

Feb 23, 2015, 4:36:27 AM2/23/15
to chromi...@chromium.org, paul....@gmail.com, mcda...@googlemail.com
Who's the proper people to contact at Google to know the status on this? I recently launched my Packaged Chrome App and my costs for running and hosting the services it relies on will ramp up quickly, and there are currently no way to monetize on this app.

Google gets "all" their money from ads, yet they don't support ads on their own application platform? It's a surreal situation and it's now a very long time since it was reported that Google is working on this. What is the current status?!

- Sondre

Sondre Bjellås

Aug 2, 2015, 2:17:11 PM8/2/15
to Chromium Apps, paul....@gmail.com, mcda...@googlemail.com
So no news yet? There are no official way to monetize on packaged chrome apps? Why should we bother developing for that platform?

- Sondre

John Marbach

Oct 16, 2015, 12:28:00 PM10/16/15
to Chromium Apps, paul....@gmail.com, mcda...@googlemail.com
Bump. Any news here?

Francisco Céspedes

Nov 12, 2015, 9:31:30 PM11/12/15
to Chromium Apps, paul....@gmail.com, mcda...@googlemail.com
with ads I pay the server. you can use in-app ads chrome?
Thanks.