Please specify background subsection of app section in the manifest?

PartyCloud DJ

Jul 8, 2015, 7:44:57 PM7/8/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi guys,

I have got a webapp available on the Chrome store for years.

I tried to upload the manifest.json and I got stuck with this error :

An error occurred: Failed to process your item.
Please specify background subsection of app section in the manifest.

My app is a hosted app so the background subsection is unrevelant as far as I understand.

Here is the manifest :

{
   "app": {
      "launch": {
         "web_url": "http://www.partycloud.fm/"
      },
      "urls": [ "http://www.partycloud.fm/" ]
   },
   "description": "Mix DJ music online for free!",
   "icons": {
      "128": "icon_128.png"
   },
   "name": "PartyCloud DJ Mixer",
   "version": "7.0",
   "manifest_version": 2
}

I'm really stuck with this fro 2 weeks, any help is highly welcome :)))

Ps: the app can't be installed anymore on the store, if you tried you got this error "There was a problem adding the item to Chrome. Please refresh the page and try again.". The app is called "PartyCloud", you can try it by yourself.

Thanks!

Scratchy
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

PartyCloud DJ

Jul 9, 2015, 12:24:45 PM7/9/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi iSh0w and thanks a lot for trying to find a solution!

I just tried your manifest.json, I got the same error with it :

An error occurred: Failed to process your item.
Please specify background subsection of app section in the manifest.

I also take a look at the C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions folder where are the manifes.json of all chrome app. I tried to upload the manifest.json of a couple working apps, but still the same error...

I really don't understand, it is like the Chrome store thinks that the PartyCloud app is a package app and not a hosted app. The reason of this maybe is that a couple of months ago, I uploaded a manifest file without any url specified in it because I forgot them. Since then, I got the problem.

I would love to ask the Google team to have a look on this, but I don't know how to contact them.

PartyCloud DJ

Jul 12, 2015, 11:26:29 AM7/12/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
I continued the investigation. Apparently this could be a bug on the Chrome store.

The fact is : After you have posted a package app, you can't turn it back into a hosted app, no matter the manifest.json you upload.

I found a couple evidence on the forums about this and that's exactly what happened to me. My app was a hosted app for years but by mistake, I uploaded a package app manifest (with a background.js script specified and no url). It was a copy and paste error. My app switched to a package app for the Google store. Since then, no matter I do, any hosted app manifest.json is rejected saying I need to specify a background script.

I'm wondering who I need to talk to fix that.... any idea?

Thanks!
Adrien

James Wagner

Jul 16, 2015, 4:56:54 PM7/16/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Thanks for flagging this Adrien and apologies for the delay.  We're looking into the issue -- I'll follow up as soon as we have an update.

Thanks,
James
Message has been deleted

PartyCloud DJ

Jul 16, 2015, 8:15:59 PM7/16/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi James, great to see you there!!! Thanks a lot! I just replied to your email :)

Lahat Abu

Oct 30, 2015, 9:45:56 AM10/30/15
to Chromium Apps
Hi James,

I'm trying to turn my packaged app into a hosted app and I see the issue still exists, any updates on this?

Thanks.

Paul Adrian Hetes

Sep 1, 2017, 6:54:22 AM9/1/17
to Chromium-Apps-Announce
Hi,

Is this issue still present ?
I am new in this, but I got this error message "Please specify background subsection of app section in the manifest." while trying to upload some files in an Google SpreadSheet Add-On ( which I have created ), using chrome web store.
My manifest.json file, is one created from a template:

{
  "name": "Great App Name",
  "description": "Pithy description (132 characters or less, no HTML)",
  "version": "3",
  "manifest_version": 2,
  "icons": {
    "128": "icon_128.png"
  },
  "app": {
    "urls": [
    ],
    "launch": {
      "web_url": "http://mysubdomain.example.com/"
    }
  }

Can somebody please help and let me know what should I do to fix this issue? Thank you in advance.

PhistucK

Sep 1, 2017, 10:54:48 AM9/1/17
to Paul Adrian Hetes, Chromium-Apps-Announce
Did your manifest ever include a "background" key? If it did, you probably cannot remove it anymore and you will need to create a new item.
You can contact the web store using the form to which the description of the group links.

PhistucK