Chrome crashes on startup running background app (upgrading from ver 41 to 42)

alucard

Apr 22, 2015, 5:43:26 AM4/22/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hello. I have a background chrome app (uses the "background" permission in the manifest) that is supposed to initialize upon the computer startup and wait for some notifications which it then shows to the user. The app worked fine with version 41 of chrome. However, since chrome 42, it crashes upon startup and it brings chrome down with it. By this I mean that even the chrome --service process is killed and is never spawned again until I manually start the browser. I can see this by watching it as it happens on the ProcessExplorer on a slow win7 machine. The problem is that I can not see the reason why this happens. I don't know if it is possible to somehow get a log of the things that happen with chrome on startup. I know about the --enable-logging switch but the chrome service that starts my app is executed without that switch and I have no idea on how to turn that on for the service.
Firstly I'd like to know if someone has the same issues with background apps on chrome 42. Next I'd like to know if anybody knows how to get logs for chrome that happen at startup. Maybe a flag that can be turned on or an environment variable.
Thanks for your time.

PhistucK

Apr 22, 2015, 6:56:56 AM4/22/15
to alucard, Chromium Apps
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK

Reilly Grant

Apr 22, 2015, 11:57:56 AM4/22/15
to PhistucK, alucard, Chromium Apps

Turn on crash reporting and file a bug with the crash ID from chrome://crashes please.

alucard

Apr 23, 2015, 4:21:53 AM4/23/15
to chromi...@chromium.org, slice.of...@gmail.com, phis...@gmail.com
After a detailed analysis I was able to conclude the following: The scenario is to have two chrome apps - one of which is a background app, the other is a normal app but its shortcut is put in the windows Startup folder. Then we have a race condition on startup which can have two outcomes.
1. The good outcome is when the chrome process that handles background chrome apps (I assume this is the process that handles background apps. Its command line is chrome.exe --no-startup-window) starts first. This is the case when chrome puts an icon in the system tray. In this case the background handling chrome process is shown as the parent of all other chrome processes in ProcessExplorer.
2. The bad outcome is when the chrome.exe process from the app that was put in the windows Startup directory (the command line is chrome.exe --profile-directory=Default --app-id=<app-id>) starts first. In this case there is no icon in the system tray. The background app is started as it should. The Startup folder chrome app process is shown as the parent of all other chrome processes in ProcessExplorer. The problem with this situation is that when the Startup folder chrome app is closed - *all* chrome processes are killed.
This manifests on a Windows 7 machine with the latest chrome installed (42.). The same problem didn't occur in chrome 41 (on the same machine).
I used lhfiglpmnendbchimlikaeachppfonmm for the Startup folder app, and dgflkdhgdabjibkfmpefanoigejemhpc was the background app.

I will file an issue on crbug.com
Thanx for the help.

alucard

Apr 23, 2015, 4:39:35 AM4/23/15