What are the plans for chrome.hid API once Chrome Apps are no longer supported?

Rodrigo Pastro

Mar 24, 2017, 3:46:34 PM3/24/17
to Chromium-Apps-Announce
Hello,

I have a question regarding Google's announcement to stop supporting Chrome packaged apps (see https://blog.chromium.org/2016/08/from-chrome-apps-to-web.html).

What are the plans for the chrome.hid API (https://developer.chrome.com/apps/hid)? This API is currently only supported for Chrome packaged apps, so we don't have any alternative solution for it.

Currently we have a Chrome app which uses this API to allow our web client to interwork with hid devices.  It would be great if we could use the same API on a Chrome extension, but unfortunately that is not supported at the moment.  Does Google have any plans to offer this API for Chrome extensions as well?

Thank you for your support.

Best Regards

mathieu...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2017, 4:03:57 PM3/24/17
to Rodrigo Pastro, Chromium-Apps-Announce
Hello Rodrigo,

We (at Mooltipass) are exactly in the same situation as you are.
We therefore had to make a cross platform standalone application, based on our current app source code and the electron framework.
Our extension would then talk to this standalone app through websockets.

Regards,
Mathieu