ARC apps not downloading correctly, Error: Package is invalid. Details:'Could not unzip extension'

Sachin Nanaware

Aug 6, 2015, 1:44:21 AM8/6/15
to Chromium Apps
I am trying to publish  a chrome ARC app to chrome webstore.
I download the zip file and upload it from developer dashboard.
I follow instructions on dashboard and publish it privately to trusted tester group.
Now, I am trying to add this app to chrome in chromiumOS for testing.
PROBLEM: The actual size of app is 25MB, but chrome downloads crx file until 207MB.
then it tries to unzip the crx and throws error:  Error: Package is invalid. Details:'Could not unzip extension'.

I have tried many combinations like publishing a sample 'hello world' apk app,
uploading zip without apk file etc. but error is same.
Even if the size of app is around 50 kb, it downloads until 207 MB.
I am unable to understand 1) what is that magical figure 207MB?
2) why is it considering it as extension even if I have uploaded a packaged app?
3) Is it related to chromiumOS and will work fine on chromebook?

Ben Hansen

Aug 10, 2015, 2:26:27 PM8/10/15
to Chromium Apps, sachin.n...@gmail.com
1) The 207MB download you are experiencing is the ARC runtime that all ARC apps depend on. The download only happens for the first ARC app that has been downloaded for each user on each device.
2) I think the error message is mis-leading. I wouldn't worry about the message saying extension instead of app.
3) Is possible but I do not know of any outstanding issues that would cause a problem on ChromiumOS.

Maybe try downloading an ARC app that is known to work such as Evernote (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/evernote/dhfolfjkgpeaojbiicgheljefkfbbfkc?hl=en-US). This will trigger the runtime download so you won't need to download the runtime each time you try to download your app. If other ARC apps are working than its likely something with the packing process.  If other ARC apps are not working its possibly an issue with the device.

Have you tried to test your App with ARC Welder (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/evernote/dhfolfjkgpeaojbiicgheljefkfbbfkc?hl=en-US)? The zip file that ARC Welder produces can be dragged onto the chrome://extensions page of any device.  If that is not working please feel free to open a bug at http://goo.gl/megdlG.

Sachin Nanaware

Aug 11, 2015, 2:29:30 AM8/11/15
to Chromium Apps, sachin.n...@gmail.com
Well, thanks Ben Hansen.

1) The 207MB download you are experiencing is the ARC runtime that all ARC apps depend on. The download only happens for the first ARC app that has been downloaded for each user on each device.

I understood that it is size of ARC (a little lately). I was confused because the size of ARC welder is very small compared to actual ARC and I thought ARC must be around 12MB.

2) I think the error message is mis-leading. I wouldn't worry about the message saying extension instead of app.

I wish chromiumOS should tell precisely that it is unzipping the ARC, not my app rather than I guess it. (Apps and extensions are zipped same way, and we check/ test apps also in extensions page, so I thought this is general message for unzipping app/extension.).

Have you tried to test your App with ARC Welder (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/evernote/dhfolfjkgpeaojbiicgheljefkfbbfkc?hl=en-US)? The zip file that ARC Welder produces can be dragged onto the chrome://extensions page of any device.

I have run my app on ARC welder app and it works perfectly fine . I have also checked on  chrome://extensions page and working as expected.
I didn't need to open any bug there.

I am trying on older intel based chromebook. I can now install the app on this chromebook. (No could not unzip extension error). Now, when I launch the app , it is launched in new ARC window, shows blank black screen and message is displayed that 'this app is not compatible with your device'. THIS IS WRERE I'M STUCK RIGHT NOW.

1) Is it happening because I am using older chromebook? or is it because of it's hardware. (Intel)? or is it my app's problem?
Note: I have updated chromeOS to latest stable release.
 Unlike evernote app I can download/add my app from webstore and it is showing that my app is compatible with device on webstore.
when I try evernote it shows red button saying not compatible.

Maybe try downloading an ARC app that is known to work such as Evernote (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/evernote/dhfolfjkgpeaojbiicgheljefkfbbfkc?hl=en-US). This will trigger the runtime download so you won't need to download the runtime each time you try to download your app.

I would like to mention here that I was trying on chromiumOS not on chromeOS/chromebok when I filed this issue of could not unzip extension.
I tried to download ARC apps. Same error. I even tried ARC welder but same unzip extension error.
I tried evernote and three other apps that google mentions ARC apps, but I see red button saying this app is not compatible with your device.(Is it because I am trying on Intel based chromebook and not on ARM based one?)
Actually, I want to know if the ARC apps run on all chromebooks independent of hardware architecture.
My apk doesn't contain any native/architecture dependent code. Is ARC itself architecture depenedent?

3) Is possible but I do not know of any outstanding issues that would cause a problem on ChromiumOS.

Well, we experienced many. But right now, I am facing the one I have written in bold letters.
I want to know the compatibility of ARC on chromebooks. (My app doesn't need any special permition/ reqirement).
Do older chromebooks support ARC?
Thanks.

Ben Hansen

Aug 14, 2015, 7:20:46 PM8/14/15
to Sachin Nanaware, Chromium Apps
Hi Sachin,

Sorry you have been experiencing problems. ARC applications do not run on x86 32bit Chromebooks. After a lot of testing the performance on the devices was considered too poor. My understanding is that there were only three x86 32bit Chromebooks shipped and they are all now several years old. Besides those three x86 32bit Chromebooks all other Chromebooks should work. If you see compatibility issues on non-x86 32bit Chromebooks please file a bug at http://goo.gl/megdlG.

Sachin Nanaware

Aug 17, 2015, 1:44:14 AM8/17/15
to Chromium Apps, sachin.n...@gmail.com
Thanks Ben, We're testing on Cr-48 chromebook (https://cr-48.wikispaces.com/Specifications)
 and seeing black  blank screen saying this device is not compatible. I will file the bug on the link you provided if this chromebook doesn't belong to the 3 chromebooks you mentioned.

Ben Hansen

Aug 27, 2015, 3:29:29 PM8/27/15
to Sachin Nanaware, Chromium Apps
Yes. The Cr-48 is one of the three unsupported devices.  From what I have read it has a 32-bit kernel.