Intent to Ship: Case-insensitive attribute selector matching

Fredrik Söderquist

Dec 11, 2015, 10:08:04 AM12/11/15
to blink-dev

Contact emails

f...@opera.com

Spec

https://drafts.csswg.org/selectors-4/#attribute-case

Summary

An additional modifier ('i') for attribute selectors, that allows an author to match an attribute (ASCII) case-insensitively.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

No intent-to-implement found, but I think https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/topic/blink-dev/_A9eJRI18Vk/discussion might suffice as a replacement.

Is this feature supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

This is small addition to the web platform which exposes an already existing mechanism to authors. The feature has already shipped in one engine (WebKit; r179819, r180123, r181512 are some of the relevant commits).

OWP launch tracking bug

https://crbug.com/567732

Entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5610936115134464

Chris Harrelson

Dec 11, 2015, 10:54:05 AM12/11/15
to Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev
LGTM1

Dimitri Glazkov

Dec 11, 2015, 11:03:36 AM12/11/15
to Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev
LGTM2

Philip Jägenstedt

Dec 11, 2015, 12:53:07 PM12/11/15
to Dimitri Glazkov, Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev
LGTM3

LGTM2

PhistucK

Dec 11, 2015, 5:56:39 PM12/11/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, Dimitri Glazkov, Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev
(By the way, the intent to implement replacement link is not working for me... Was it the thread I started?)

While this is weird, because I am the one who triggered the work on this (I posted the question on style-dev), why are you so sure it should actually be shipped?

Only WebKit (and so Safari) implemented it (as it seems). There are no public signals for the other vendors and it is a CSS syntax error in unsupported browsers.

Did you chat with the other vendors regarding their plans?

(What triggered me to post the question was a this Open Web Platform Daily digest that says it is enabled in Chromium while it was not really enabled)

PhistucK

PhistucK

Dec 11, 2015, 6:11:56 PM12/11/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, Dimitri Glazkov, Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev
The Firefox bug looks like a positive public signal, so I updated the chromestatus.com entry.

PhistucK

Philip Jägenstedt

Dec 11, 2015, 6:19:21 PM12/11/15
to PhistucK, Dimitri Glazkov, Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev
Try this link? That wasn't really about the same thing, though, it was about the potential for making attribute value selector matching case-insensitive everywhere by default. If anyone's curious, https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/244 is the use counter that Jens added.

As for the [name="value" i] syntax that this thread is about, that's used in HTML's UA stylesheets and in Blink, so the decision to ship this and give web developers the same tools looks very simple.

Thanks for finding the Firefox bug and updating chromestatus.com.

PhistucK

Dec 11, 2015, 6:28:43 PM12/11/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, Dimitri Glazkov, Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev
It will be an interoperability issue if only WebKit based (or forks) browser implemented this, even if it is going to be in a finished standard at some point. This is why I think we need to know that Firefox or Edge are going to ship this as well (and not only toy with the idea).

PhistucK

Fredrik Söderquist

Dec 11, 2015, 6:47:37 PM12/11/15
to PhistucK, Philip Jägenstedt, Dimitri Glazkov, blink-dev
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 12:27 AM, PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> wrote:
It will be an interoperability issue if only WebKit based (or forks) browser implemented this, even if it is going to be in a finished standard at some point. This is why I think we need to know that Firefox or Edge are going to ship this as well (and not only toy with the idea).

It'd seem that whether or not this will be/cause an interoperability issue is out of our hands already. I can certainly try to probe the remaining vendors' level of commitment to this modifier. (Unless they chose to uncloak before then, or someone else beats me to it of course =))

/fs

Philip Jägenstedt

Dec 11, 2015, 6:51:15 PM12/11/15
to PhistucK, Dimitri Glazkov, Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev, Jacob Rossi
I've linked to this thread from the Gecko bug and CC'd Jacob Rossi here. If anybody shouts soonish then we'll have time to reconsider.

PhistucK

Feb 11, 2016, 2:29:50 PM2/11/16
to Philip Jägenstedt, Jacob Rossi, Boris Zbarsky, Dimitri Glazkov, Fredrik Söderquist, blink-dev
Yay, Firefox 47 will ship this as well. Thank you, Boris!
Waiting for Edge. :)

PhistucK