Re: Intent to Remove: Prefixed Touch attributes

Mustaq Ahmed

Sep 14, 2015, 12:59:23 PM9/14/15
to blink-dev, Rick Byers, Philip Jägenstedt
Primary contact
mus...@chromium.org

Link to “Intent to Deprecate” thread
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!searchin/blink-dev/intent$20to$20deprecate$3A$20prefixed$20touch$20attributes/blink-dev/TUmwYTK-qV0/nRkKiJgRFF4J

Summary
Remove the prefixed versions of four touch attributes in TouchEvent: radiusX, radiusY, rotationAngle, force. Spec: https://w3c.github.io/touch-events/#touch-interface.

Motivation
Cleanup the API before these attributes get popular. The prefixed & unprefixed versions of the attributes are identical, and the prefixed ones are deprecated since M45. There is no point keeping both versions.

Compatibility Risk
Low. We don’t expect anything to break because the unprefixed radiusX, radiusY and force attributes are available for more than a year already. Unprefixed rotationAngle was made available in May 2015, and only a few devices (e.g. Nexus 10) report touch orientation. We are not aware of any real usage of the prefixed attributes.

Usage information from UseCounter
radiusX: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/378
radiusY: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/379
rotationAngle: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/380
force: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/381

OWP launch tracking bug
crbug.com/460099

Entries on the feature dashboard
N/A

Rick Byers

Sep 14, 2015, 1:06:22 PM9/14/15
to Mustaq Ahmed, blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt
LGTM1

The risk is quite low here IMHO.  It's time to remove these, especially with Safari about to support Touch.force (I don't yet know if they will also support webkitForce).

Rick

Dimitri Glazkov

Sep 14, 2015, 1:36:52 PM9/14/15
to Rick Byers, Mustaq Ahmed, blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt
LGTM2

:DG<

Philip Jägenstedt

Sep 15, 2015, 7:40:22 AM9/15/15
to Dimitri Glazkov, Rick Byers, Mustaq Ahmed, blink-dev
LGTM3