Concerns about replacing ClientRectList with sequence<ClientRect>?

Philip Jägenstedt

Jul 6, 2015, 11:24:05 AM7/6/15
to blink-dev, Dirk Schulze, Simon Pieters
Hi all,

The Geometry Interfaces spec says "The DOMRectList interface is at-risk. The authors of this specification await feedback from implementers if the item() function of DOMRectList is currently in use on legacy interfaces. If there is no/not enough content to justify DOMRectList, legacy interfaces must use sequences instead and DOMRectList will be removed from this specification."

(It's called ClientRectList in Blink, but that's not important here.)

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/694

Dirk asked if it's "safe to assume that ClientRectList (aka DOMRectList) can be replaced by a WebIDL sequence? IIRC there were some reservations in WebKit."

Apart from the use counter data, I've also searched for "ClientRectList" in the 20150101 httparchive data. There were a mere 37 cases, all in long generic lists of global attributes, nothing that would break.

Does anyone have any concerns with changing the spec and trying to align Blink with that?

Philip

Philip Jägenstedt

Jul 13, 2015, 7:29:20 AM7/13/15
to blink-dev, Dirk Schulze, Simon Pieters
I will take the lack of feedback as "no concerns" and poke the spec bug to kill DOMRectList.