Intent to Implement: Notification.vibrate

Sanghyun Park

Apr 8, 2015, 2:28:36 PM4/8/15
to blin...@chromium.org
Contact emails

Spec

Summary
Support for the Notification.vibrate attribute, which allows authors to supply a vibration pattern similar to "navigator.vibrate()", which is to be applied when a Notification gets shown

Motivation
By supporting Notification.vibrate, developers can control vibrate pattern, when a Notification gets shown such as native notification.
And developers can support a variety of vibration patterns to the user through this attribute.

Compatibility Risk
Low. we are the first browser to implement and ship this feature.

Ongoing technical constraints
None

Vibration is dependent on device capability.
This feature will be supported only android, for now.

OWP launch tracking bug?
None.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard
None.

Requesting approval to ship?
No

Sanghyun Park

Apr 8, 2015, 2:31:02 PM4/8/15
to blin...@chromium.org
 Chromium implementation bugs are as follows:
 https://crbug.com/442132

2015년 4월 9일 목요일 오전 3시 28분 36초 UTC+9, Sanghyun Park 님의 말:

Peter Beverloo

Apr 8, 2015, 2:38:07 PM4/8/15
to Sanghyun Park, blink-dev
This is exciting, thank you! :-).

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Sanghyun Park <sh919...@samsung.com> wrote:
Contact emails

Spec

Summary
Support for the Notification.vibrate attribute, which allows authors to supply a vibration pattern similar to "navigator.vibrate()", which is to be applied when a Notification gets shown

I would like to point out that the specification currently only defines the "vibration" option in the NotificationOptions dictionary, and not the attribute.

Introducing the attribute is blocked on the following bug. I would much prefer to have the attribute introduced to the specification prior to us shipping this.

Motivation
By supporting Notification.vibrate, developers can control vibrate pattern, when a Notification gets shown such as native notification.
And developers can support a variety of vibration patterns to the user through this attribute.

To clarify, on Android the user's notification settings will be honored for the vibration. If their phone is set to silent, it will not play.

Compatibility Risk
Low. we are the first browser to implement and ship this feature.

Ongoing technical constraints
None

Vibration is dependent on device capability.
This feature will be supported only android, for now.

This seems reasonable, and matches what we're doing for the Vibration API. For non-Android platforms, an implementation would have to be provided in //device/vibration, but there currently are none.

Thanks,
Peter