Intent to deprecate: PaymentAddress.languageCode

93 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Rouslan Solomakhin

ungelesen,
17.10.2018, 14:17:0317.10.18
an blink-dev
Contact emails

Spec

Summary
We intend to deprecate PaymentAddress.languageCode, which is browser's best guess for the language of the text in the shipping, billing, delivery, or pickup address in Payment Request API.

Motivation
The language of an address text is useful for choosing the right address formatting rules, but determining the language of any text can be done without user agent help. A W3C review of Chrome's existing language guessing heuristics revealed they were subpar.

Interoperability risk
Firefox: Removed languageCode.
Edge: No public signals
Safari: Removed languageCode.
Web developers: No signals

Compatibility risk
Usage counter for languageCode shows no usage of this field on the web.

Ongoing technical constraints
None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)? Yes or no.
Yes

OWP launch tracking bug

Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4992562146312192

Requesting approval to remove?
No. Going to add a deprecation warning first, wait a couple of months, then will request approval to remove here.

Daniel Bratell

ungelesen,
23.10.2018, 10:57:2223.10.18
an blink-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin
We don't really do deprecations without a removal date anymore. Devtools won't even display deprecation warnings unless there is a documented removal date. The reason for that is in short that nobody takes deprecations without a date seriously, and they tend to not even be serious deprecations, just hopeful attempts to steer web developers away from some function web developers find useful.

It's always possible to revert or delay the deprecate+remove later if the date turns out to be badly chosen, so just pick the best target milestone for removal you can think of.

> Usage counter for languageCode shows no usage of this field on the web.

This indicates you might even go for a quick removal without deprecation to avoid anyone starting to use it.

/Daniel

/* Opera Software, Linköping, Sweden: CEST (UTC+2) */

Rouslan Solomakhin

ungelesen,
23.10.2018, 17:29:5323.10.18
an Daniel Bratell, blin...@chromium.org
Thank you for the advice! My plan was to remove in M74.

Philip Jägenstedt

ungelesen,
24.10.2018, 01:54:5424.10.18
an Rouslan Solomakhin, Daniel Bratell, blin...@chromium.org
LGTM1 to deprecate now and remove in M74. As Daniel said, if we run into trouble/breakage, we can change reconsider.

Daniel Bratell

ungelesen,
24.10.2018, 05:10:5224.10.18
an Rouslan Solomakhin, Philip Jägenstedt, blin...@chromium.org
LGTM2 to that plan (deprecation and removal in M74).

Please update https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4992562146312192 with that plan too. It will form the basis for the blog post eventually so it should be correct and informative.

/Daniel

Rouslan Solomakhin

ungelesen,
25.10.2018, 13:13:1725.10.18
an Daniel Bratell, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
Updated the feature status page.

Yoav Weiss

ungelesen,
28.10.2018, 13:23:2128.10.18
an Rouslan Solomakhin, Daniel Bratell, Philip Jägenstedt, blin...@chromium.org
LGTM3

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 07:54:36 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt <foo...@chromium.org> wrote:

LGTM1 to deprecate now and remove in M74. As Daniel said, if we run into trouble/breakage, we can change reconsider.

That flat-line is encouraging.

Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten