PSA: OwnPtr removal is planned on this Sunday (June 19)

Yuta Kitamura

Jun 14, 2016, 3:04:53 AM6/14/16
to blink-dev
Hi blink-dev!

Finally, it's time to remove OwnPtr completely. I have a local patch touching ~1500 files, which seems to be working according to our trybots (yes, Rietveld and trybots were able to handle the change of this scale!).

I'm planning to land this giga patch on this Sunday (June 19), right after BlinkOn. The tree will be closed during the work in order to avoid conflicts and unexpected regressions. If this schedule does not work for you, please let me know ASAP.

Work Schedule

June 19 (Sun) 15:00 - 18:00 Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)
[June 18 (Sat) 23:00 - June 19 (Sun) 2:00 PDT]

* May extend on unexpected failures

I hope the migration work finishes without issues, but in case there is something wrong and it becomes clear that I cannot fix it quickly, I will revert all the work and plan for next actions. In any case I will report back to you after the work.

I will send another notice of tree closure to chromium-dev soon.

As always, thank you for your patience and cooperation,
Yuta

Yuta Kitamura

Jun 19, 2016, 5:11:01 AM6/19/16
to blink-dev
Hello!

I landed the patch a while ago, and it seems to be working pretty well, modulo some slow bots (perf and memory) that are still catching up.

I will check the tree state later today again, but in the meanwhile I've reopened the tree. If you find any issues, please let me know!

Charles Harrison

Jun 19, 2016, 5:18:17 AM6/19/16
to Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev
Woohoo! Great job. Let's hope it sticks!

Kentaro Hara

Jun 19, 2016, 6:02:04 AM6/19/16
to Charles Harrison, Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev
You did it :D Congrats!

--
Kentaro Hara, Tokyo, Japan

Yuta Kitamura

Jun 19, 2016, 10:36:59 AM6/19/16
to blink-dev
Hi! I just wanted to let you know I found no suspicious failures caused by the OwnPtr removal patch.

If you find any issues I missed, please let me know ASAP, because reverting becomes harder and harder over time.

Your work-in-progress patches are likely to conflict with my change; such conflicts are usually resolved by just replacing "(Pass)OwnPtr" with "std::unique_ptr" and "adoptPtr" with "wrapUnique". If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Again, thank you all for your patience and cooperation!

Yuta