Intent to implement: GetDisplayMedia

Harald Alvestrand

Jun 13, 2018, 11:17:39 AM6/13/18
to blink-dev

Contact emails

nik...@chromium.org

Explainer

N/A

Design doc/Spec

Specification: https://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-screen-share/

In the process of requesting a tag review.

Summary

Chrome has long supported screen capture (used for videoconferencing screenshare and remote desktop) through a proprietary API that can only be enabled by extensions. The standard API is defined in the screen capture specification.
We intend to add the standard functionality, and eventually remove the older, non-standard API.

Motivation

The screenshare functionality in Chrome has proved popular with videoconferencing service vendors, and is essential to other applications such as Chrome Remote Desktop.

The standardized version has been shipped by other vendors, and there is a desire in the community to have only one API of this type; the need to use an extension to enable the feature is also seen as a drawback for the Chrome non-standard version.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Describe the degree of interoperability and compatibility risk. For a new feature, the main risk is that it fails to become an interoperable part of the web platform if other browsers do not implement it. For a removal, please review our principles of web compatibility.

Edge: Shipped

Firefox: Shipped (with deviations; tracking bug)

Safari: Positive

Web developers: Positive

Ergonomics

This feature will be commonly used with WebRTC for sharing a desktop or window with others.

Activation

Polyfill on top of the existing functionality may be possible, but still requires using an extension for enabling. The API is very similar to the old one, so most apps should have an easy time switching.

Debuggability

No special considerations.

Yes. The differing capabilities of the different platforms mean that we can’t be sure to release all of them a the same time.

No. Tests will be added.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6744724455030784

Requesting approval to ship?

No.

Philip Jägenstedt

Jun 14, 2018, 9:18:35 AM6/14/18
to Harald Alvestrand, Jonathon Kereliuk, blink-dev
This is very exciting, thanks for taking this on, Harald!

I suspect that testing this with WPT will require new WebDriver/testdriver.js support, please have a chat with +Jonathon Kereliuk if you need any help with that.

Can you post the TAG review issue when it's filed here? (I'd like to follow.)

jahanze...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2018, 3:14:15 PM6/14/18
to blink-dev
This is great news. I really hope system audio is also enabled as it's critical for sharing media clips

PhistucK

Jun 14, 2018, 5:16:17 PM6/14/18
to jahanze...@gmail.com, blink-dev
I really hope Firefox aligns their implementation soon... It implements it using getUserMedia instead of getDisplayMedia.

PhistucK

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:14 PM <jahanze...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is great news. I really hope system audio is also enabled as it's critical for sharing media clips

Thiemo Nagel

Harald Alvestrand

Jul 20, 2018, 7:28:43 AM7/20/18
to Thiemo Nagel, blink-dev, Jahanzeb Khawaja