Intent to Implement and Ship: OfflineAudioContext constructor with dictionary

Raymond Toy

Jul 17, 2017, 5:12:02 PM7/17/17
to blink-dev

Contact emails

rt...@chromium.org, hong...@chromium.org

Spec

https://webaudio.github.io/web-audio-api/#OfflineAudioContext

https://webaudio.github.io/web-audio-api/#offlineaudiocontextoptions

Summary

In addition to the existing constructor for an OfflineAudioContext that takes three arguments, add a new constructor taking a single dictionary specifying the necessary options.

Motivation

A while ago, all of the WebAudio nodes were updated to have, in addition to the factory method, a constructor taking a dictionary argument to specify any needed arguments. The exception to this was the OfflineAudioContext which takes three arguments.  For consistency, the spec was updated to allow construction of an OfflineAudioContext using a dictionary argument to specify the number of channels, frames to render and the sample rate.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

This is a new addition and we fully expect all browsers to implement this.  Mozilla was involved in the discussion and agreed with adding this.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Yes.

OWP launch tracking bug

http://crbug.com/737200.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5635820090294272

Requesting approval to ship?

Yes.

Dimitri Glazkov

Jul 18, 2017, 10:04:37 AM7/18/17
to Raymond Toy, blink-dev
LGTM1

Rick Byers

Jul 18, 2017, 10:53:14 AM7/18/17
to Dimitri Glazkov, Raymond Toy, blink-dev
Sounds reasonable to me, but this section of the template is missing:

Please link to the test suite. If any part of the feature is not tested by web-platform-tests, please include links to issues, e.g.:

  • A web-platform-tests issue with the "infra" label explaining why a certain thing cannot be tested. (example)

  • A spec issue for some change that would make it possible to test. (example)

  • A Chromium issue to upstream some existing tests. (example)

An Intent to Ship requires either a web platform test suite or such issues to be filed explaining why such a test suite is currently impossible or in the progress of being upstreamed.

Raymond Toy

Jul 18, 2017, 11:31:45 AM7/18/17
to Rick Byers, Dimitri Glazkov, blink-dev
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me, but this section of the template is missing:

I must be using an older version of the template. (I made a local copy for myself.)

No, not yet.  When we land this change, we will have tests for this in Chrome's LayoutTests.

We are still working on moving Chrome's webaudio tests to WPT (and getting the existing WPT tests to work and pass in Chrome). The hard part of converting Chrome's tests to use testharness is done.  We're now trying to coordinate with Mozilla on how to integrate out respective testsuites into WPT.

Please link to the test suite. If any part of the feature is not tested by web-platform-tests, please include links to issues, e.g.:

  • A web-platform-tests issue with the "infra" label explaining why a certain thing cannot be tested. (example)

  • A spec issue for some change that would make it possible to test. (example)

  • A Chromium issue to upstream some existing tests. (example)

An Intent to Ship requires either a web platform test suite or such issues to be filed explaining why such a test suite is currently impossible or in the progress of being upstreamed.

Just filed crbug.com/745778.

Rick Byers

Jul 18, 2017, 3:13:49 PM7/18/17
to Raymond Toy, Dimitri Glazkov, blink-dev
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Raymond Toy <rt...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Ok, thanks.  Is it you or someone else who is driving this effort?  Can you assign the bug to whoever that is to make it clear who is accountable for the progress?

LGTM1

Raymond Toy

Jul 19, 2017, 11:58:43 AM7/19/17
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Raymond Toy <rt...@chromium.org> wrote:

Just filed crbug.com/745778.

Ok, thanks.  Is it you or someone else who is driving this effort?  Can you assign the bug to whoever that is to make it clear who is accountable for the progress?

Yeah, I guess I'm driving this effort.  I assigned myself to the bug now.

We also want to clean up the existing WPT tests. It uses some huge lodash lib that may not really be needed.

TAMURA, Kent

Jul 20, 2017, 3:55:36 AM7/20/17
to Raymond Toy, Rick Byers, Dimitri Glazkov, blink-dev
LGTM3.

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google