Make interop a priority with the Web API Confluence Dashboard

Mark Dittmer

Sep 20, 2017, 1:41:26 PM9/20/17
to blink-dev, ecosystem-infra, Philip Jägenstedt, Dru Knox
tl;dr: Check out the Web API Confluence Dashboard and start prioritizing interop problems today! Please file bugs/feature requests and send us feedback.

Hi everyone,

At BlinkOn we had a breakout session about “Visualizing Web Interoperability” that was essentially a demo of the newly launched Web API Confluence Dashboard.

The dashboard is intended to help web platform engineers quickly identify problem spots for web interop. The hope is that this will enable more strategic investments in the areas of the web platform that pose interop challenges. We have already started investigating issues reported by Chrome’s Browser-Specific metric report.

The tool is still pretty rough around the edges; there are plenty of known issues that the Ecosystem Infra team plans to address. During the breakout session we identified a couple key use cases:

(1) The API Catalog and API Velocity metric can be used to quickly identify which versions ship certain APIs (in catalog, use “Add Browser” button + search functionality);
(2) For the other metrics the latest data point (rightmost points on graphs) tend to contain the most actionable insights. (To view the list of APIs associated with a data point, click the point, then click the .)

If you notice bugs or have a feature request that will make the data more useful please file issues. You can also send general feedback to ecosyst...@chromium.org.

Big thanks to our TL foolip@ for chairing the breakout session and former intern jingt06@ (GitHub username) who built much of the UI and infrastructure for the dashboard.

Here’s to a more unified web platform!

//Mark

Rick Byers

Sep 20, 2017, 5:17:42 PM9/20/17
to Mark Dittmer, blink-dev, ecosystem-infra, Philip Jägenstedt, Dru Knox
Thanks Mark and Jing, I'm excited about the data-driven discussions this tool will provoke!

When we ask web developers what frustrates them most about web development, we consistently hear dealing with the differences in APIs across browsers as a top complaint.  We were inspired by the Microsoft Edge team's API catalog, and thought it might be useful to experiment with different visualizations of this data and how it's changing over time. We know that the data is just a rough proxy for what we really care about (real-world interoperability) and we need to be careful to avoid reading too much into it (eg. this particular data set tells us nothing about spec status or behavior differences of APIs). But I'm optimistic that as we continue to experiment with it, this tool will contribute meaningfully to the mission of Ecosystem Infrastructure to help the web platform behave more like a single well-engineered product.

Rick

PhistucK

Sep 20, 2017, 5:53:50 PM9/20/17
to Rick Byers, Mark Dittmer, blink-dev, ecosystem-infra, Philip Jägenstedt, Dru Knox
Nice!

Huh... I do not remember (also after a few minutes of searching) an intent for removing webkitTransition and webkitAnimation CSSOM and I see they really are removed. Does anyone else remember that?

PhistucK

Philip Jägenstedt

Rick Byers

Sep 20, 2017, 6:34:46 PM9/20/17
to Philip Jägenstedt, Eddy Mead, PhistucK, Mark Dittmer, blink-dev, ecosystem-infra, Dru Knox
There's something weird that happens with CSS property aliases and how the property enumeration works:

'webkitTransition' in document.body.style
> true
Object.getOwnPropertyNames(document.body.style).indexOf('webkitTransition')
> -1

I don't know if this is expected or a bug (although I seem to recall discussing it before with the style team).  Eddy?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <foo...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

Geoffrey Sneddon

Sep 20, 2017, 10:51:10 PM9/20/17
to Rick Byers, Philip Jägenstedt, Eddy Mead, PhistucK, Mark Dittmer, blink-dev, ecosystem-infra, Dru Knox
Also notable:

document.body.style.hasOwnProperty("webkitTransition")
> true
Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(document.body.style, "webkitTransition")
> {value: "", writable: true, enumerable: true, configurable: true}

There are plenty of "webkit*" properties that appear in GetOwnPropertyKeys, but seemingly a bunch that are just aliased don't appear. Some bindings issue?

/g