Intent to Implement and Ship: Custom Web Notification timestamps

Peter Beverloo

Oct 16, 2015, 11:45:41 AM10/16/15
to blink-dev
Contact emails

Spec

Summary
The `timestamp` property on the Notification interface, and the NotificationOptions dictionary.

Motivation
Web Notifications on Android display the time at which they were created in their top-right corner.

However, this is not always appropriate. Consider an event that happened when the device was offline, or a meeting that's about to happen. The `timestamp` property enables developers to provide the time appropriate to what they notify for.

Note that we don't visually surface the time of a notification on desktop right now, but do use it to affect notification ordering. We may decide to surface it in the future.

Compatibility Risk
Firefox: Public support
Edge: No public signals
Safari: No public signals
Web developers: No public signals

Describe the degree of compatibility risk you believe this change poses
None.

Ongoing technical constraints
None. The full patch is available here:

Yes - it will be supported visually on Android.
Yes - it will be considered for ordering on desktop, but won't surface in the UI yet.
No - not on WebView, given that the Notification API is not supported there yet.

OWP launch tracking bug

Requesting approval to ship?
Yes

TAMURA, Kent

Oct 20, 2015, 12:13:14 AM10/20/15
to Peter Beverloo, blink-dev
LGTM1.  A small straight-forward addition to the existing feature.

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Philip Jägenstedt

Oct 20, 2015, 10:48:52 AM10/20/15
to TAMURA, Kent, Peter Beverloo, blink-dev
LGTM2

Dimitri Glazkov

Oct 20, 2015, 11:58:56 AM10/20/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, TAMURA, Kent, Peter Beverloo, blink-dev
LGTM3.