Intent to Deprecate/Remove: UTF-32 encoding support

Joshua Bell

Jul 20, 2017, 2:05:56 PM7/20/17
to blink-dev
Primary eng (and PM) emails

Summary
The UTF-32 encoding has, so far as we can tell, effectively zero usage, apart from test pages. We'd like to remove support for consistency with Firefox, Edge, and the Encoding standard.

Motivation
Inconsistency in encoding support (e.g. between client and server) has often lead to XSS attacks; while we're not aware of any threat here, we've been trying to remove legacy encodings - especially those not ASCII-compatible - as usage drops and compatibility allows.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk
Edge: Not supported
Firefox: Not supported (since 2011)
Safari: Supported.

Generally UTF-32 markup content will end up appearing like raw HTML source - it'll be interpreted as either windows-1252 or UTF-16, with lots of interspersed nulls. You can compare http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/plane1-utf-32.html across browsers as an example.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers
Developers should be using UTF-8, or one of the legacy encodings.

Usage information from UseCounter
We do not have use counters for per encoding usage. (and so far as I can tell we don't capture this in HTTPArchive)

Google crawl stats of 100M pages from back in 2014 show 17 hits (0.000%) and we don't expect this will have increased.

OWP launch tracking bug
Just a normal bug: https://crbug.com/417850

Entry on the feature dashboard
I don't think this merits one, since the usage is in the noise.

Requesting approval to remove too?
Yes (M61)

TAMURA, Kent

Jul 20, 2017, 10:26:29 PM7/20/17
to Joshua Bell, blink-dev
LGTM1.  Though we don't have UseCounter, the removal must be safe.

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Joshua Bell

Jul 21, 2017, 1:56:21 PM7/21/17
to TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
^^^ I meant M62 here. There's no reason we'd merge this.

lindseyma...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2017, 4:04:26 PM7/21/17
to blink-dev
TamurMILIStv Jess Nobel BROWN/ HIS
MNHTN THVS JMG

Chris Harrelson

Jul 24, 2017, 7:23:43 PM7/24/17
to Joshua Bell, blink-dev
LGTM2

Mike West

Jul 25, 2017, 7:05:13 AM7/25/17
to Chris Harrelson, Joshua Bell, blink-dev