Intent to Remove: MediaStreamTrack.getSources()

閲覧: 186 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Guido Urdaneta

未読、
2016/09/23 12:18:472016/09/23
To: blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

eng: gui...@chromium.org, h...@chromium.org

pm: bl...@chromium.org

Link to “Intent to Deprecate” thread

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!searchin/blink-dev/getSources%7Csort:relevance/blink-dev/sEr9RBs9Cls/60mH4J4_DwAJ

Summary

The goal is to remove the MediaStreamTrack.getSources() method.

Motivation

This method is no longer part of the spec and is not supported by any other major browser.

Compatibility Risk

The compatibility risk is low. MediaStreamTrack.getSources() is not supported by any other major browser. It has been replaced by MediaDevices.enumerateDevices(), which Blink supports without flags since M47 and which is also supported by other browsers.

Usage information from UseCounter

Use counter graph: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/478

Since the last three months, usage has decreased to below 0.01%.

OWP launch tracking bug

http://crbug.com/649710

Entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4765305641369600

Jochen Eisinger

未読、
2016/09/23 12:32:002016/09/23
To: Guido Urdaneta、blink-dev

lgtm1

Chris Harrelson

未読、
2016/09/23 12:34:512016/09/23
To: Jochen Eisinger、Guido Urdaneta、blink-dev
The graph shows a steady value of 0.01%. Have you done research to find out which sites are using it?

lgtm1

Philip Jägenstedt

未読、
2016/09/23 16:51:332016/09/23
To: Chris Harrelson、Jochen Eisinger、Guido Urdaneta、blink-dev
A look at httparchive would be very useful. I searched for pages contained 'MediaStreamTrack.getSources' and found a lot of polyfill code. Excluding resources that also contain 'enumerateDevices'  leaves only 88 results:

Guido, can you see if there are things that will break in here?

Dimitri

未読、
2016/09/27 12:17:112016/09/27
To: blink-dev、chri...@chromium.org、joc...@chromium.org、gui...@chromium.org
LGTM2.

Guido Urdaneta

未読、
2016/09/27 12:30:352016/09/27
To: blink-dev、chri...@chromium.org、joc...@chromium.org、gui...@chromium.org
I checked several of the sites and I didn't find anything that would break in a major way.
Practically all call sites check if getSources is available, and they can all be easily ported to enumerateDevices.
For the sites I checked, getSources does not seem to be a major part of their functionality.

Chris Harrelson

未読、
2016/09/27 12:42:182016/09/27
To: Guido Urdaneta、blink-dev、Jochen Eisinger
LGTM3

Philip Jägenstedt

未読、
2016/09/27 13:18:252016/09/27
To: Chris Harrelson、Guido Urdaneta、blink-dev、Jochen Eisinger
This was an Intent to Remove, but unless there's any hurry, at least 1 milestones of deprecation would make sense. Does that sound good?

LGTM3

PhistucK

未読、
2016/09/27 14:20:332016/09/27
To: Philip Jägenstedt、Chris Harrelson、Guido Urdaneta、blink-dev、Jochen Eisinger
You mean, one additional milestone, right? Since it is already deprecated.

PhistucK

LGTM3

Guido Urdaneta

未読、
2016/09/28 4:33:552016/09/28
To: blink-dev、foo...@chromium.org、chri...@chromium.org、gui...@chromium.org、joc...@chromium.org
I will update the deprecation message to say that it will be removed in M56.
The current message does not say when it will be removed.

Philip Jägenstedt

未読、
2016/09/28 9:17:582016/09/28
To: Guido Urdaneta、blink-dev、chri...@chromium.org、joc...@chromium.org
I wasn't paying attention and didn't follow the link to the existing Intent to Deprecate, but yeah, just adding a removal milestone before the actual removal sounds good.

Another thing that came up in the API owners meeting is that it would be good with a simple polyfill that we can provide for those who have their site broken and just want to fix it with minimal effort. Something like:

if (window.MediaStreamTrack && !MediaStreamTrack.prototype.getSources) {
  MediaStreamTrack.prototype.getSources = function(callback) {
    /* something with enumerateDevices and a mapping */
  }
}

The possibility of this also proves that no functionality is being removed. But is it possible to provide the facing attribute using enumerateDevices?

PhistucK

LGTM3

全員に返信
投稿者に返信