Intent to Implement: EME: Make navigator.requestMediaKeySystemAccess() spec compliant

John Rummell

Dec 5, 2016, 3:36:38 PM12/5/16
to blin...@chromium.org
jrum...@chromium.org http://w3c.github.io/encrypted-media/ Require that one of 'audioCapabilities' and 'videoCapabilities' be specified in the configuration passed to navigator.requestMediaKeySystemAccess(), and require that the contentType strings used as part of the entries to 'audioCapabilities' and 'videoCapabilities' include the desired codec as part of the MIME type.

Currently Chrome allows configurations that don't include the fields listed to pass (provided the other parts of the configuration is supported). Missing codecs currently has a deprecation message, and one will be added for missing capabilities. The intent is that the non-compliant functionality will be removed in M58.
To be compliant with the current version of the EME specification.

Firefox: No public signals Edge: Shipped Safari: No public signals Web developers: No signals
Edge appears to follow the spec. Firefox currently does not, possibly due to the W3C EME tests checking this incorrectly. This will improve compatibility between browsers. We are working with the Widevine team to include recommendations on the configurations passed to navigator.requestMediaKeySystemAccess() for their next client communication (scheduled for the start of January).
None.
Yes. https://crbug.com/605661, https://crbug.com/616233 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5758526131535872
Yes.

Philip Jägenstedt

Dec 13, 2016, 2:39:28 AM12/13/16
to John Rummell, blin...@chromium.org

As this is already deprecated and is going to be removed, I've changed the title. Needs 3xLGTM.

I think it amounts to adding step 15 of http://w3c.github.io/encrypted-media/#get-supported-configuration-and-consent: "If the videoCapabilities and audioCapabilities members in candidate configuration are both empty, return NotSupported."

Please correct me if it's more than that.

Regarding, "the W3C EME tests checking this incorrectly", have you fixed the test already?

LGTM1

John Rummell

Dec 13, 2016, 4:12:25 PM12/13/16
to Philip Jägenstedt, blin...@chromium.org
Comments inline.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <foo...@chromium.org> wrote:

As this is already deprecated and is going to be removed, I've changed the title. Needs 3xLGTM.

I think it amounts to adding step 15 of http://w3c.github.io/encrypted-media/#get-supported-configuration-and-consent: "If the videoCapabilities and audioCapabilities members in candidate configuration are both empty, return NotSupported."

The second change is that the MIME types passed to videoCapabilities and audioCapabilities must have codecs specified. That already has a deprecation message since April.

Please correct me if it's more than that.

Regarding, "the W3C EME tests checking this incorrectly", have you fixed the test already?

LGTM1

Thanks.

Chris Harrelson

Dec 13, 2016, 4:15:38 PM12/13/16
to John Rummell, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM2

Dimitri Glazkov

Dec 13, 2016, 4:16:51 PM12/13/16
to Chris Harrelson, John Rummell, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM3