Application cache is deprecated or completely removed from chrome 52.

rahulti...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 3:47:26 PM7/27/16
to blink-dev
Today I updated my browser to chrome 52 and deployed instances to my application which uses application cache to download and cache latest Javascript code with the use of manifest file,
stopped downloading of latest Javascript file.

Is it because chrome 52 has removed application cache or is there any other problem.
Any help?

Jochen Eisinger

Jul 28, 2016, 2:57:47 AM7/28/16
to rahulti...@gmail.com, blink-dev
Are you using app cache on an HTTP URL? In that case, we've disabled the caching functionality, see https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5714236168732672

The solution would be to migrate to HTTPS.

Hope that helps
-jochen

PhistucK

Jul 28, 2016, 3:36:14 AM7/28/16
to Jochen Eisinger, rahulti...@gmail.com, blink-dev
Yes, but looks like the issue is that while Chrome may discard the application cache manifest, it still serves responses from the application cache. On an HTTP URL, which does sound like a bug, since users have browsed to HTTP websites in the past and they may already have an application cache stored and so the users will get the outdated responses...

PhistucK

Jochen Eisinger

Jul 28, 2016, 4:47:47 AM7/28/16
to PhistucK, rahulti...@gmail.com, blink-dev
can you file a bug for that please?

rahulti...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2016, 9:14:36 AM7/28/16
to blink-dev, rahulti...@gmail.com
The issue which I am observing is that chrome downloading the files mentioned in manifest file but it fails to update in application cache.
Hence whenever I reload my page it serves old file from application cache instead of new file.

And this is happening with chrome 47 version also.
And Normally I have tried on other instances of my application, application cache generating perfectly even with chrome 52.

So any guess about this behaviour.

PhistucK

Jul 28, 2016, 9:45:36 AM7/28/16
to Rahul Tiwari, blink-dev