Intent to Extend Origin Trial: Experimental support for native AEC

os...@chromium.org

May 22, 2018, 10:47:52 AM5/22/18
to blink-dev

Contact emails

os...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSxV-u0qLMf38G4NYT6vaF1tw7rTtsj6yJRcqL99hK9JftCYtmBp78nu8v1Ol5v2w55iZ8tevfUXcG3/pub

Summary

The previous Origin Trial of experimental support for native AEC started in Chrome M66 but ran into some technical issues, hindering experimentation. Aside from fixing these issues, we'd like to rework this Origin Trial in two major ways:

  1. Add a new constraint that allows the web application to decide whether to use the system's echo canceller, or the browser's. This information will also be exposed in MediaTrackSettings, which allows experiments to properly map performance to implementation.
  2. Extend the platform support to include Windows.

The Explainer link, above, has been updated with more in-depth description of the changes.

Goals for experimentation

We want to evaluate the performance of the system-level echo cancelers on macOS and Windows. We also want to evaluate the proposed new constraint. We believe it may prove useful for end-user applications to be able to select what echo canceler to use on a case-by-case basis, to fall back on one in case the other isn't handling the current situation well.

Experimental timeline

We want to extend the trial to M68 and M69.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

No, not really.

Reason this experiment is being extended

Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/3MYKIKqyaNA/WXP-PXggBQAJ

The previous trial failed, as we were unable to properly evaluate echo canceler performance and tie it to an implementation. The changes proposed in this Intent should remedy both of these. There have also been fixes to the code that should improve the situation.

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

macOS and Windows will be the only platforms with support for the "system" echoCancellationType. The constraint will be available on all platforms.

os...@chromium.org

May 23, 2018, 8:16:29 AM5/23/18
to blink-dev
As this extension changes the experiment quite a lot, we were asked to instead start a new one.
The new Intent to Implement is here.

Chris Harrelson

May 23, 2018, 12:24:02 PM5/23/18
to os...@chromium.org, blink-dev
Thanks for sending the new intent to implement.

LGTM to experiment with it.