Onion Soup Status - Feb '16

Elliott Sprehn

Feb 12, 2016, 1:20:50 AM2/12/16
to blink-dev
Hey folks,

Perhaps you were wondering how Onion Soup was going? GREAT! Lots of folks are chipping in from all over to bring down the walls and improve our layering.

Here's a sample of some of the exciting work going on in this space. I'm sure I've forgotten some patches or people, sorry if I've missed you, your work is just as amazing. :)

If you want to get involved or have ideas for parts of platform and content that need improving please reach out to me.

Until next time Soup Chefs, keep up the good fight!

bashi@, Remove some tracing methods from blink::Platform

Removes over a hundred lines of code as we merge our tracing code. Great example of breaking down the walls.

dtapuska@, Clean up histograms, make them faster!

Turns out blink was allocating several strings strings, taking an atomic lock, md5'ing the name, doing a map lookup, and lots of verification logic... every single time you called into histograms. For UseCounter this meant doing hundreds of these in a row during page unload. David work should make UseCounters and histograms in blink much much faster!

This is a great example of finding a place where Blink is using an API through platform in a very inefficient way and fixing it for a big win.

dtapuska@, Remove WebWaitableEvent and replace it with WaitableEvent

Great example of a patch where we can merge code into blink platform and remove layers of virtual calls.

esprehn@, Delete a bunch of dead memory code.

Removed 100 lines of dead memory reporting code. Without 3 sided patches things are much easier to clean up. :)

hajimehoshi@, Moving classes from content/child to platform

Should remove over 500 lines of code and abstraction classes!

loyso@, Merging cc_blink into platform/

This uber patch is a huge step in getting rid of cc_blink and tearing down years of walls between blink platform and cc. So exciting.

yukishiino@, Migrates battery_status from content/renderer/ to WebKit/platform/

This patch will remove lots of adapter classes and pioneers the way to having Mojo services in blink.

yutak@, WTF::bind: Remove the need of hand-rolled code for bound arguments

This amazing patch replaces 184 lines with 24.

yutak@, Blink Platform: Remove time functions from Platform.

Remove lots of plumbing and make performance.now() 5% faster.

Thanks,
- E

Kentaro Hara

Feb 12, 2016, 2:27:04 AM2/12/16
to Elliott Sprehn, blink-dev
Yay!

--
Kentaro Hara, Tokyo, Japan

Dimitri Glazkov

Feb 12, 2016, 11:45:26 AM2/12/16
to Kentaro Hara, Elliott Sprehn, blink-dev
Amazing! How does one sign up to be a Chef? I mean, that sounds, like, a super-awesome 20% project.

:DG<