Intent to Implement: Reporting API

Julia Tuttle

Dec 20, 2016, 1:38:00 PM12/20/16
to blink-dev

Contact emails

julia...@chromium.org

Spec

https://wicg.github.io/reporting/

Summary

The Reporting API is a backend for other web platform features to use to upload out-of-band reports of exceptional conditions (e.g. CSP violations).

Motivation

Right now, the implementation of each feature's report upload functionality is independent. Reports can't be batched together, and uploads from different features that share an endpoint don't share backoff/retry state.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

There is little risk in shipping Reporting itself; if other features in Chromium decide not to use it, they can revert to an independent report upload mechanism.

There is some risk in connecting a feature to Reporting, since that will change how sites configure report uploads, and if we then decide to deprecate Reporting, those site owners will have to change their configurations again. Those connections will be reviewed as separate launches.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Yes.

OWP launch tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=676016

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

No entry; the Reporting API does not expose a new web platform API.

Requesting approval to ship?

No.

Ilya Grigorik

Dec 20, 2016, 2:36:16 PM12/20/16
to Julia Tuttle, blink-dev
Yay, *super* excited about this work! \o/

We have CSP, HPKP, Network, and Intervention reporting mechanisms, all of which would benefit from a single/shared and well tested implementation. For developers, it also provides a consistent mechanism to configure where and how these reports should be delivered. Wins all around.