Intent to Implement and Ship: Pause autoplaying muted video when invisible (Android)

閲覧: 67 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Zhiqiang Zhang

未読、
2017/02/09 9:49:172017/02/09
To: blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails
zqz...@chromium.org, mlam...@chromium.org

Spec
A pull request to the HTML spec change is here:

https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/2324

Summary
On Android, muted videos with autoplay attribute will start autoplay when they become visible. The change of behavior is to interrupt autoplay when they become invisible. This will only apply to videos with an autoplay attribute, which are started when visible.

Motivation

The motivation is to reduce the power usage. An extreme case is when a infinite scrolling page has a lot of muted videos with autoplay attribute. Before this change, we will continue decoding these videos even when they come off the viewport.

Interoperability and Compatibility risk
This only apply to videos that are declared as autoplay but not videos that start playing with play(). We are already delaying the playing until the video is visible. Finally, it has launched on Safari iOS.

Firefox: No public signals
Edge: No public signals
Safari: Shipped
Web developers: No signals (anecdotally, we were asked for this by a developer at BlinkOn)

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux,
Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

No. This feature is Android only (including WebView).

OWP launch tracking bug
https://crbug.com/690468

https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5651339115757568

Requesting approval to ship?

Yes

--
Zhiqiang Zhang

Philip Jägenstedt

未読、
2017/02/09 13:49:382017/02/09
To: Zhiqiang Zhang、blin...@chromium.org
LGTM1

The HTML PR is now merged, with the interesting bits appearing here:

I have filed https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/issues/4772 to track the unfortunate fact that there's no way to test autoplay in web-platform-tests currently, and I filed bugs on some browsers:

Chris Harrelson

未読、
2017/02/09 14:52:152017/02/09
To: Philip Jägenstedt、Zhiqiang Zhang、blin...@chromium.org