Intent to Remove: -webkit-hyphens

Tony Chang

Jul 25, 2013, 6:52:46 PM7/25/13
to blin...@chromium.org
Contact emails

Spec

Summary
I plan to remove our partial implementation of -webkit-hyphens.  Currently, blink implements 'none' and 'manual' values of -webkit-hyphens, but does not implement 'auto'.

Motivation
Only implementing part of the CSS property makes it hard to feature detect blink's support of this feature. [1]  There is some partial work done for implementing 'auto', but no one is currently working on this feature and it is adding code complexity[2] and bloat since we compile in a third party hyphenation library.

Compatibility Risk
The only visible change is that "-webkit-hyphens: none" will no longer work, but I suspect this is not used.  You would need to manually add ­ markers to your HTML and add this CSS value to not break at those places.

Support for this feature is almost complete, but I have been unable to find anyone interested in owning and maintaining the server components which provide the dictionaries.  We should remove the code until we can find someone willing to own and finish the feature.

tony

Eric Seidel

Jul 25, 2013, 7:21:20 PM7/25/13
to Tony Chang, blink-dev
Do other browsers implement hyphens: auto?

Assuming "no", then LGTM.

Eric Seidel

Jul 25, 2013, 7:22:35 PM7/25/13
to Tony Chang, blink-dev
Actually, removing broken features is LGTM regardless. invalid CSS
selectors are ignored.

I could imagine code which did "element.style.webkitHyphens" breaking,
but that should be rare.

Tony Chang

Jul 25, 2013, 7:24:26 PM7/25/13
to Eric Seidel, blink-dev
Firefox 8+, IE 10+ and Safari 5.1+ support prefixed versions of the hyphens property.

Ojan Vafai

Jul 25, 2013, 7:28:20 PM7/25/13
to Tony Chang, Eric Seidel, blink-dev
LGTM as well

TAMURA, Kent

Jul 25, 2013, 7:29:26 PM7/25/13
to Ojan Vafai, Tony Chang, Eric Seidel, blink-dev
LGTM3.

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Eric Seidel

Jul 25, 2013, 7:33:54 PM7/25/13
to Tony Chang, blink-dev
So what I'm hearing you say is that we'll likely need/want this
feature at some point in the future, but w/o a working implementation,
and w/o a successful path forward (or even an owner) we should just
remove the dead code.

Is it correct to say that "-webkit-hyphens: auto" has never worked in
any version of Chrome?

Tony Chang

Jul 25, 2013, 7:35:49 PM7/25/13
to Eric Seidel, blink-dev
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Eric Seidel <ese...@chromium.org> wrote:
So what I'm hearing you say is that we'll likely need/want this
feature at some point in the future, but w/o a working implementation,
and w/o a successful path forward (or even an owner) we should just
remove the dead code.

Yes.  When we find an owner, we can bring the code back from svn/git.

Is it correct to say that "-webkit-hyphens: auto" has never worked in
any version of Chrome?

Yes, that's right.

Paul Irish

Jul 27, 2013, 10:37:25 AM7/27/13
to Tony Chang, Eric Seidel, blink-dev
This may be Chrome's most significant false-positive feature detect.. and it requires significant hacking around: https://github.com/Modernizr/Modernizr/blob/master/feature-detects/css/hyphens.js

There is a lot of desire for Chrome to have this feature: https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=chrome%20hyphens&src=typd
I believe it's our most requested CSS feature.

.. but the best thing we can do in the meantime is fix the false positive first and address a complete implementation later.

Binyamin

Sep 11, 2014, 3:14:01 AM9/11/14
to blin...@chromium.org, to...@chromium.org, ese...@chromium.org

rana.ae...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2014, 8:06:38 PM10/1/14
to blin...@chromium.org, to...@chromium.org, ese...@chromium.org
I second Paul Irish's comment, we are an editorial site with a lot of traffic from chrome and it's such a hassle to have to hack around to support such a basic content feature.

Konstantin Nikitin

Oct 7, 2014, 11:32:06 AM10/7/14
to blin...@chromium.org
Hi!

Is it possible for people outside @chromium.org to become an owner? Our team is interested in maintaince of this feature.

--
Konstantin Nikitin,
+7 903 0072726

Levi Weintraub

Oct 7, 2014, 12:50:26 PM10/7/14
to Konstantin Nikitin, blink-dev
Hi Konstantin,

Anyone can become an owner :) There are some guidelines here: http://dev.chromium.org/developers/owners-files

Orthogonally, ownership isn't necessary for maintaining features in Blink. You just need an owner willing to provide reviews.

Rana Khalil

Oct 7, 2014, 12:57:49 PM10/7/14
to Levi Weintraub, blink-dev
Hey Levi,

I am also interested to contribute to @chromium.org, and I have no knowledge of the code base yet. Where do you advice me to begin from?

Thanks,

Rana

Levi Weintraub

Oct 7, 2014, 1:17:40 PM10/7/14
to Rana Khalil, blink-dev
Rana,

I'd stress the communication part, especially if you're looking for a place to get started. The best place to find owners and contributors to chat with is probably in the #blink irc channel on Freenode.

bank...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2015, 10:13:17 PM1/25/15
to blin...@chromium.org

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 5:52:46 PM UTC-5, Tony Chang wrote:
I have been unable to find anyone interested in owning and maintaining the server components which provide the dictionaries.

Stupid question: operating systems don't have hyphenation dictionaries? Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, and other software that wants to hyphenate, must each bundle their own dictionaries?