Intent to Remove: TextTrackCue constructor

Philip Jägenstedt

Feb 24, 2014, 5:16:01 AM2/24/14
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

phi...@opera.com

Link to “Intent to Deprecate” thread

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/YJ4SY6WHxso/SJ_f8ZCsExwJ

Summary

Remove the TextTrackCue constructor, which has been removed from the spec:

http://whatwg.org/html#texttrackcue

Motivation

It has been deprecated for a release cycle to give developers a heads up. Usage remains low.

Usage information from UseCounter

0.001830792071 according to Ojan's dump from stable:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/ze27T2M682w/SM3hGfQpKnoJ

Compatibility Risk

Scripts creating TextTrackCues using new TextTrackCue(...) will break. Mostly demos are likely to be affected. It is trivially fixed by using the VTTCue constructor instead.

Row on feature dashboard?

http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/187

Jochen Eisinger

Feb 24, 2014, 5:41:18 AM2/24/14
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM

Glenn Adams

Feb 24, 2014, 11:39:59 AM2/24/14
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
lgtm

Eric Seidel

Feb 24, 2014, 12:09:05 PM2/24/14
to Glenn Adams, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
lgtm.

BTW, I believe "row on the feature dashboard" corresponds to these features:
http://www.chromestatus.com/features

Which is separate from the use-counter features, although maybe
shouldn't be anymore? :)

Eric Bidelman

Feb 24, 2014, 12:41:02 PM2/24/14
to Eric Seidel, Max Heinritz, Glenn Adams, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
+max

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Eric Seidel <ese...@chromium.org> wrote:
lgtm.

BTW, I believe "row on the feature dashboard" corresponds to these features:
http://www.chromestatus.com/features

Correct.

Which is separate from the use-counter features, although maybe
shouldn't be anymore? :)

Max, perhaps we should update the email templates now that we have UserCounter data in the dashboard? "Intent to remove" emails can link to the timeline stats. "Intent to implement/ship" can still link to the feature row.

Max Heinritz

Feb 24, 2014, 4:13:01 PM2/24/14
to Eric Bidelman, Eric Seidel, Max Heinritz, Glenn Adams, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Eric Bidelman <ericbi...@google.com> wrote:
+max

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Eric Seidel <ese...@chromium.org> wrote:
lgtm.

BTW, I believe "row on the feature dashboard" corresponds to these features:
http://www.chromestatus.com/features

Correct.

Which is separate from the use-counter features, although maybe
shouldn't be anymore? :)

Max, perhaps we should update the email templates now that we have UserCounter data in the dashboard? "Intent to remove" emails can link to the timeline stats. "Intent to implement/ship" can still link to the feature row.

Good catch.  I updated the templates for deprecation and removal:

Usage information from UseCounter
How much of the web are you going to break?
If possible, please link to usage details on chromestatus.com/metrics (example link)
If you haven’t instrumented this feature yet, say so.

Please link to this feature’s entry on chromestatus.com/features (example link).  If this feature doesn’t have one, you may be asked to create one.

TAMURA, Kent

Feb 24, 2014, 8:42:30 PM2/24/14
to Eric Seidel, Glenn Adams, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
lgtm
--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Silvia Pfeiffer

Feb 27, 2014, 5:12:58 AM2/27/14
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Eric Seidel <ese...@chromium.org> wrote:
> lgtm.
>
> BTW, I believe "row on the feature dashboard" corresponds to these features:
> http://www.chromestatus.com/features

Talking about which - there are a few things related to text tracks
where the "Consensus & Standardisation" section could be updated. Do
you want that input? And how is one supposed to best provide it? (I
tried finding out this information on
http://www.chromestatus.com/features directly, but all I can find is a
link at the bottom of the page to "Report content issues" which sends
an email to the blink-dev list).

Silvia.

Max Heinritz

Feb 27, 2014, 11:30:12 AM2/27/14
to Silvia Pfeiffer, Eric Seidel, Glenn Adams, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
Please click the (tiny) "Sign in" button at the bottom of the page and sign in with your @chromium.org account.  You should have edit access.

Silvia.