PSA: Blink Reformatting this Friday, September 30th

Daniel Cheng

Sep 26, 2016, 4:39:05 PM9/26/16
to blink-dev
Hello blink community,

On September 30th at 4PM, we’re planning to run clang-format on //third_party/WebKit to change everything to match Chromium style.

Your local branches should rebase across the reformat automatically without problems, so this should not affect you.

Unless you care about details, you can stop reading now.

Clang-format is bad about reformatting comments, so we’re configuring it to not reformat comments for now. We’re going to manually clean up comments, but feel free to reflow comments in files that you’re editing.

How does the merge magic work? primiano@ wrote a script to help automatically resolve merge conflicts from clang-format changes, and we’re adding a gitattributes file to automatically run this script when merging h and cpp files.

What about merges to the stable branch? We’re late in the branch, so not too many patches will have to be merged to the unformatted stable branch. We recommend trying to merge manually. If this is difficult for a patch of yours, reach out to us for assistance.

What doesn’t this do:
Variable naming and stuff. That’s coming at the end of Q4.

- dcheng@, on behalf of the Blink reformatting cabal

Daniel Cheng

Sep 30, 2016, 11:57:57 AM9/30/16
to blink-dev
Just a reminder that this will be happening today at 4PM.

Daniel

Ian Clelland

Sep 30, 2016, 12:01:53 PM9/30/16
to Daniel Cheng, blink-dev
That's PDT, right? (23:00 GMT, if my math is right)

Daniel Cheng

Sep 30, 2016, 12:22:47 PM9/30/16
to Ian Clelland, blink-dev

Yes, that's correct: the work will start at 4PM PDT. The tree will be closed for a few minutes and reopened once we're confident there are no surprises.

Daniel