Intent to implement the Credential Management API on iOS

Vasilii Sukhanov

Jul 21, 2017, 9:29:13 AM7/21/17
to blink-dev, tga...@chromium.org

Contact emails

vas...@chromium.org, tga...@chromium.org

Spec

https://w3c.github.io/webappsec-credential-management/

Summary

The API is an interface between a web page and browser's password manager.

Motivation

Chrome has shipped the API on all the platforms but iOS. After https://github.com/w3c/webappsec-credential-management/issues/75 was accepted it became possible to implement the polyfill solution. The polyfill checklist is available here.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Edge: Private email claiming that they are interested and considering the implementation details

Firefox: Had on the 2017 roadmap.

Safari: Planned to ship it. Currently in discussions regarding sharing the plain text password.

Web developers: Positive

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Already supported except Android WebView. Android WebView has no access to the passwords.

OWP launch tracking bug

https://crbug.com/435048

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5026422640869376

Requesting approval to ship?

No

Rick Byers

Jul 27, 2017, 4:50:14 PM7/27/17
to Vasilii Sukhanov, blink-dev, tga...@chromium.org
FWIW I'm still hopeful we will succeed in reaching consensus with Apple on a design for this API that they're happy to ship in WebKit (we're unlikely to really succeed at the vision long-term without mobile Safari support).  But in the interim, polyfilling in Bling sounds reasonable to me.  I definitely agree with the strategic importance of eliminating the typing of passwords :-)

Rick