Intent to Implement: Content Size Policy (name subject to change)

Charles Harrison

Jul 19, 2016, 2:53:08 PM7/19/16
to blink-dev

Contact emails

cshar...@chromium.org, igri...@chromium.org, oj...@chromium.org, yo...@yoav.ws

Spec

Rough draft summary and technical design.

Summary

This feature will allow authors to specify the maximum amount of content a given frame can load.

Note: This API is in a very early state and we don't really know what the end result will look like. We want to land an experimental version of this feature behind a flag (and include an entry in about:flags) so that we can iterate quickly on a design and find something that works. The experiment will simply limit the content loaded of a cross-origin iframe to a user-specified byte limit.

Note #2: Yoav drafted a similar doc that we are planning on merging. Adding him to the contact emails as I suspect he will be working closely with this effort.

Motivation

Third party iframes and ads especially are known to download a huge amount of resources. Publishers that are performance sensitive can be *extremely* nervous about including ads on their page due to a whole host of unknowns. One of which is the amount of content loaded by the frame. This change will allow the top level frame to enforce limits, so third parties can't get out of control.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Shipping this could lead to a maintenance burden around mitigation techniques used by third parties (service worker / cache storage / new APIs).

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Yes

OWP launch tracking bug

crbug.com/629587

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

Will add an entry when the API materializes more.

Requesting approval to ship?

No

igri...@google.com

Jul 19, 2016, 5:56:14 PM7/19/16
to blink-dev
For anyone interested in following along, or if you'd like to contribute feedback or comments, please file them on the WICG repo: