What happened to RenderObject, RenderLayer, and Source/core/rendering folder?

Rich Eakin

Nov 27, 2015, 2:50:58 AM11/27/15
to blink-dev
Hello list,

I've been doing some research on how compositing work in Blink, mainly following this document and this set of slides. These two documents describe the RenderObject and RenderLayer classes as the main guys who determine what is going to be composited, however they appear to be gone in the latest blink sources. Searching the web for these files shows that they used to live in the Source/core/rendering folder, but that also seems to be gone.

Please forgive me if this has been answered numerous times before, but where has this functionality moved to? Is there any newer documentation that explains what the current plan / design is for compositing?

Thanks and any information is much appreciated,
Rich

Yuta Kitamura

Nov 27, 2015, 3:02:40 AM11/27/15
to Rich Eakin, blink-dev
They were renamed to LayoutSomething (LayoutObject and so on), and moved to layout/ directory.

Thanks,
Yuta

Rich Eakin

Nov 27, 2015, 3:42:06 AM11/27/15
to Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev
Ah, thanks for leading me to the explanation!

Best,
Rich

Jeremy Roman

Nov 27, 2015, 10:30:38 AM11/27/15
to Rich Eakin, Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev
RenderLayer, however, is now PaintLayer (in core/paint). Note also that there is an ongoing effort to rewrite our compositing integration, at which point this logic will change much more substantially.

Dave Tapuska

Nov 27, 2015, 10:36:27 AM11/27/15
to Jeremy Roman, Rich Eakin, Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev
Who owns this documentation? This question has come up a couple times on blink-dev. Perhaps we could spend a little bit of time updating the documentation?

dave.

Jeremy Roman

Nov 27, 2015, 10:59:45 AM11/27/15
to Dave Tapuska, Rich Eakin, Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev, paint-dev, graphics-dev
Some combination of paint-dev and graphics-dev owns that. I'm a little hesitant to spend a lot of time updating it now, in the hopes that the New World (TM) comes into being over the next few quarters.

Joe Mason

Nov 27, 2015, 11:07:33 AM11/27/15
to Jeremy Roman, Dave Tapuska, Rich Eakin, Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev, paint-dev, graphics-dev
A note at the top saying, "This is being refactored so these docs are out of date. They will be updated when the design settles down," could save confusion, though.

Rich Eakin

Nov 27, 2015, 11:25:49 AM11/27/15
to Joe Mason, Jeremy Roman, Dave Tapuska, Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev, paint-dev, graphics-dev
I do not see a class in core/paint called PaintLayer, however I do see one called DeprecatedPaintLayer so I take it that's where it got moved to. I agree, a note saying this is all being refactored at the top of that document would be nice for those like me trying to get up to speed. Nonetheless, thank you all for directing me to the right place, and I look forward to following this project.

cheers,
Rich

Jeremy Roman

Nov 27, 2015, 1:20:11 PM11/27/15
to Rich Eakin, Joe Mason, Dave Tapuska, Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev, paint-dev, graphics-dev
It's PaintLayer at tip of tree, but it was DeprecatedPaintLayer a short while ago (we were somewhat indecisive about what we should call it).

Jeremy Roman

Nov 27, 2015, 1:22:38 PM11/27/15
to Joe Mason, Dave Tapuska, Rich Eakin, Yuta Kitamura, blink-dev, paint-dev, graphics-dev
Good idea. I've added a note.