PSA: when working on bindings, please add v8_optimized_debug=0 to your GYP_DEFINES

Jochen Eisinger

Nov 6, 2013, 2:18:57 PM11/6/13
to blink-dev
For desktop, it defaults to 2, which disables some of the more expensive tests. However, when you're changing bindings (or other code directly interacting with V8), it's important to make sure that none of the implicit assumptions in V8 are violated.

You can also set it to 1. This will give you all debugging code, but compiles it at -O1 which makes debugging all the crashes you'll trigger not exactly fun...

best
-jochen

Daniel Bratell

Nov 7, 2013, 4:50:53 AM11/7/13
to blink-dev, Jochen Eisinger
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 20:18:57 +0100, Jochen Eisinger <joc...@chromium.org>
wrote:
I tried this for other reasons last week but I couldn't get a functioning
browser with either of 1 or 0. No scripts were executed at all. I tried
both in Windows and Linux with the same effect. I changed it in
common.gypi though, it that makes a difference. Has there been known
issues with it?

/Daniel

Jochen Eisinger

Nov 7, 2013, 5:23:37 AM11/7/13
to Daniel Bratell, Daniel Clifford, blink-dev
+danno

Until a few days ago, the default value (2) disabled all checks in V8 (not just the slow ones), and so unfortunately a lot of bugs creeped into our code base.

Meanwhile, all bugs should be either fixed or at least band aids put into place to make it possible to run with 0 or 1 again (and 2 now enables a lots of checks as well).

best
-jochen